AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How Google AdWords Detects Invalid Clicks

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi everyone,

I’m part of the performance team in Google AdWords and I just wanted to share some information about how AdWords detects and handles invalid clicks. I’ll run through what Google AdWords may consider to be an invalid click and how we detect and filter out these clicks.

Here are some types of clicks we consider to be invalid:

• Accidental clicks that provide no value, such as the second click of a double-click
  • Manual clicks intended to increase someone's advertising costs
  • Clicks and impressions by automated tools, robots, or other deceptive software

How does Google AdWords detect Invalid Clicks?

Our Ad Traffic Quality Team analyse and filter out potentially invalid clicks. Our Click Quality Team is constantly working to improve the detection methods in order to deliver high quality traffic to advertisers. We essentially have two filters to detect invalid clicks.

1. All clicks are analysed by our system. The system analyses numerous click patterns and if any clicks are considered to be invalid, they will be filtered out before you are charged for them and before they reach your account reports. You can view these clicks by adding the ‘Invalid Click’ column in your ‘Campaigns’ or ‘Dimensions’ tab.

2. All clicks are then analysed again and if any potentially invalid clicks weren’t filtered out in the first detection method, you will receive a credit for these clicks. The credit will be visible in your Billing tab as as a ‘Click Quality Adjustment’.

More information about Invalid Clicks and detection can be found here.

I hope you find this helpful! If anyone has any thoughts to add, please share them! I’m also happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,
Rachel

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How Google AdWords Detects Invalid Clicks

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello RachelIM

One of my competetier click on my mobile campaings all day long he finhising  my daily budget within 45 minute

he dose it in away that  google cannot detect it now i do get the money back as an invaild activity  on my billing page

but it sometimes take 2-3 weeks for me to get the money back do you have any suggetion for me?

and how can i know to witch campanig the invaild activity credit apply to?

Thanks 

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Mickey,

Thanks for your reply. 

The AdWords system will examine each click that your ads receive and it takes various data points into account, including internet protocol (IP) address, the time of the click and so on - so our Click Quality Team should pick up on this type of activity. Unfortunately, due to the large number of data points looked at, a credit can take 2-3 weeks to be appear in your account.  

When you activate the invalid clicks columns in your account, you can see information at campaign, ad group, ad or keyword level. When the clicks are analysed a second time, the credit is applied at account level so unfortunately it isn't attributed to one specific campaign. 

If you are concerned about specific clicks from certain IP addresses, have you tried excluding these IP addresses? You can block your ads from appearing to specific IP addresses by adding them to the ‘Manage IP exclusions’ option in your ‘Settings’ tab. This article gives the steps to exclude IP addresses and you can obtain IP information from your web logs.

I hope this helps!

Rachel

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello

i cannot blocked the ip because he keep changing them he is clicking on me from a mobile device and it is very easy

to change the ip from a mobile device  i keep increasing my budget every hr in order to to show my adds

but thast not a good suolotion for me but i guess i have no choise 

i will have a ctr of 100% some time and get 20 clicks in 20 minute from him

- I think Google souled put soomthing in there policies against people who click on there competitors maybe if they

will know they are risking an account suspension by doing so they will stop!

Thanks for your post and your help

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Mickey,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry you're encountering this issue. Don't hesitate to escalate any invalid clicks concerns you have in future using this form. It could also be an idea to reach out to your competitor to try to resolve the issue directly. Nonetheless, our Click Quality Team are constantly working to improve their detection methods.

If you have any other questions, just ask!

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Google has a lot of work to do on detecting invalid clicks for mobile devices.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
There is no tab like "Click Quality Adjustment"
Where to see whether adwords actually crediting cost of invalid c,licks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Rachel,

My adwords account has been disabled for years due to invalid click activity. I have appealed this decision many times, and all I get is the generic "No" email. I have a fairly popular site and youtube account (with ads turned on gaining no revenue of my own), and I would really like to get this resolved. But of course I can never talk to anyone past the appeal form. Is this something you could help with?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Rachel, I recently restarted my adwords campaign with a $50.00 daily budget. I had to add an external service because I was getting maximum clicks early in the day shutting down my ads for the day, I also noticed I had a very high bounce rate. The new service notified me a few days ago that someone from the same IP address clicked on my site 3 times in 36 seconds and never went to my website. The clicks cost $20. each so the 3 clicks ended my ads for the day. I looked up the IP address on Whois and saw it was a competitor, doing the same type of work I do. Google did not find this, I never saw this in my invalid clicks log. It would seem to me that someone from the same IP address clicking on a site 3 times in 36 seconds and never visiting the site the ad could direct them to would be an easy find for Google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any help here?

@Kurt B wrote:
Rachel,

My adwords account has been disabled for years due to invalid click activity. I have appealed this decision many times, and all I get is the generic "No" email. I have a fairly popular site and youtube account (with ads turned on gaining no revenue of my own), and I would really like to get this resolved. But of course I can never talk to anyone past the appeal form. Is this something you could help with?