AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

HiI had a question regarding the source of ads to some youtube videos.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there!

Nathan Heller here from Burning Man's Intellectual Property Team.

I had a question or two regarding the source of some ads running on some videos on Youtube.  It is not clear whether the ads are from the Youtube Users, or from copyright owners to music included in the videos through Content ID.

How can I go about finding the source of the ads?  Any help would be much appreciated!  

Here are two videos as examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQPQn9TLpPY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxRAg9Pcpm4

If more convenient, please feel free to email me directly at:

nathan@burningman.com

Thank you!

Nathan

Burning Man Intellectual Property Team

nathan@burningman.com

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: HiI had a question regarding the source of ads to some youtube vid

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Nathan,

Unfortunately Ads are not "fixed" in any way so what you see when you view these videos is not what I - or probably anyone else - will see.  For example, the first link you've provided showed me an Ad for Hewlett-Packard and I'm pretty sure they're not the people you're worried about.

Anyone can place an Ad that follows Google's policies and guidelines and there are methods of targeting those Ads to topics, demographics or regions.  If an Ad has appeared on one of your videos that you don't like, you have two choices:

1.  Stop monetising the videos completely (I'm guessing this won't be a popular choice)

2.  Block that advertiser domain from your YouTube account.

The second option is usually much preferred and there's details of the process here:

Block Ads

If you have any more questions, or if I've missed the point entirely, please follow up.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for your reply.

First off, I did not post either of these videos, but I do represent an intellectual property interest in them, on behalf of the Burning Man Organization, and we are curious to know who placed the ads.   We see one possibility, that the Users who posted the videos, may be monetizing their videos.  Or we think the other possibility might be the owners to the rights to the songs played on each video, who are monetizing the video through Content ID.

Yes, I see there are several different ads we have seen on each video, but I see no clear pattern as to whether it is the User, or song owner, or other, behind them.

Is there any way for Youtube / Google to determine who placed the ad?  Whom can I contact about that question?

Nathan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nathan, I'm on leave at the moment, I'll try & give you a better reply tomorrow.

Jon
AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok, thanks very much for the help, Jon -- it is much appreciated!

Nathan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joh,

Figure you're very busy (as am I)! Just checking in though.

Nathan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ping Smiley Wink

Hello, Joh, or anyone else, can you please help me with my query?

Nathan