AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Hi, Can I add non relevant keywords to my campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Can I add non relevant keyword to target my customers?

As an example let's say I'm selling baby formula, but I know my customers( mom's) usually search for stretch mark cream. Even though I don't sell cream I would like to target these searches which aren't directly relevant, is this in conflict with adwords policy?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brunosoutilha
September 2015

Re: Hi, Can I add non relevant keywords to my campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Brunosoutilha and welcome to the forum, an interesting question.

There should be no problem with Adwords policy, so long as your Ads aren't deceptive.  So, you could use "stretch mark cream" as a Keyword, but your Ad would still have to be about formula.  If your Ad suggested you sold cream, and you don't, that would be a breach of the Policies (specifically the "Advertiser Claims" policy).

However, even if you did show correct Ads, it could be quite inefficient to do so on a Search campaign.  Your relevance scores would be appalling so you'd be paying far more for your Ads than other advertisers (who are actually selling cream) to get a decent position.

A better approach might be to consider a Display network campaign where you target websites for mothers.  Your Ads will be seen then by anyone browsing that site, regardless of their original reason for doing so, and you won't be penalised for a lack of relevance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brunosoutilha
September 2015

Re: Hi, Can I add non relevant keywords to my campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Brunosoutilha and welcome to the forum, an interesting question.

There should be no problem with Adwords policy, so long as your Ads aren't deceptive.  So, you could use "stretch mark cream" as a Keyword, but your Ad would still have to be about formula.  If your Ad suggested you sold cream, and you don't, that would be a breach of the Policies (specifically the "Advertiser Claims" policy).

However, even if you did show correct Ads, it could be quite inefficient to do so on a Search campaign.  Your relevance scores would be appalling so you'd be paying far more for your Ads than other advertisers (who are actually selling cream) to get a decent position.

A better approach might be to consider a Display network campaign where you target websites for mothers.  Your Ads will be seen then by anyone browsing that site, regardless of their original reason for doing so, and you won't be penalised for a lack of relevance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits