AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Help with 'information harvesting' opt in box

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there

I've been trying to get my work site (www.marketsamurai.com) ad approved for a few weeks now, slowly making changes where they were needed to make the site Adwords compliant, but I'm running into an issue and I would like some guidance from the community.

The information I'm running into is the opt in box that sits front and centre when you reach our site, which is (from what I understand) classed as 'Information Harvesting' - due to the fact we offer free videos, which are available in our Dojo, and a free trial period to our software in exchange for a name and email address.

We have been a company for over 5 yaers now, so this opt in box is something we're used to, and automatically creates an accout in our database and assigns a unique registration key to activate the free trial without any contact needed from our end.

The decision has been made to recreate our site to be completely Adwords compliant, but here's the question that I would like some guidance/help with - what do I do with our opt in form?

We did get some awesome help from an Adwords rep, who told us that a workaround would be to have the trial downloadable without asking for information - I find this to be the 'long way around', as the user will have downloaded the free trial and then have to contact us asking for their registration key etc.

Has anyone experienced this issue and have any ideas to get around this issue?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Wayne

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help with 'information harvesting' opt in box

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;
Having a brief look at your site, its current design / structure and content violate the information harvesting section of the Policy;
I am in a bit disagreement here with the rep you talked with. My view, is that this business model (offering free software in return for personal information ) cannot be promoted on Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Thanks for getting back to me - I've actually seen your name pop up on another few posts, and I'm glad that you're looking into this for me, you're one of the good guys Smiley Wink

Yeah there's been some back-and-forth between me and a rep about what is good and bad, and we've made a new mockup of a site loosely based of marketsamurai.com - I understand that version of the site, in it's current form, has more than a few things that conflict with Adwords terms and conditions..

Can I ask you to take a look at this mockup that I've put together? As I'm sure you'll understand, I just want to make sure the site changes we're about to make comply with Adwords rules before we put the time, energy, and money into making the changes on our live site.

Here's that link - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94288140/Keyword%20Samurai%20mockup%20v2.pdf

If you have the time to take a look and notice anything that would result in that site being disapproved, I would love to hear about them before we start!

Thanks in advance - I look forward to your reply!

Cheers,
Wayne

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

As I said in my previous answer, the issue is both with the design / structure, as well as with the business model: My view, is that this business model (offering free software in return for personal information ) cannot be promoted on Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

The mockup that I created was meant to have no mention at all that we were giving away anything for free, but it looks like I missed that capitalised FREE near the top of the page.. My bad.

If that wasn't there in the redesign, I can't see anywhere else that there's mention of giving away anything for free - unless I'm mistaken.

As far as I can see, we don't offer anything for free (excusing the above mentioned FREE in the title), we don't ask for any information from the user, so I'm not sure how we're breaching the information harvesting rule?

I found another post that's similar to our issue, and tried to do what he did in my mockup and remove the opt in box - https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Collecting-names-on-Landing-page/td-p/346...

Approaching this from a different angle, would adding the pricing plans for the program on our landing page squash the confusion that this might be a FREE product?

Cheers,
Wayne

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Wayne, as Moshe stated, currently it seems like sample harvesting :

Download Your FREE Copy of Market Samurai

=== free gift

User has to register just for downloading a free gift. In another words, why can't this book be downloaded directly without registration?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Petr,

See my reply to Moshe on 25-03-2014, I tried to clear that up.

Anyway, I've been given the go ahead from my Adwords rep with the mockup I made.

Cheers,
Wayne