AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Help...Text Ad unapproved for policy other pharma clients are doing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are trying to get text ads approved for a pharma client. The ads are unbranded (due to the fact the brand's generic is VERY long and there is no room for ISI) and they drive to the brand.com. 

We have been disapproved twice now. 

Google is telling us the url in the ad needs to be in the source url of the landing page...the domains need to match. 

However none of the pharma brands we research are doing this and Google will not tell us how or why those are approved an ours aren't. For example, search diabetes. The top 3 ads are all unbranded landing on an branded.com and the domains DO NOT match. 

What don't I know about getting these approved that everyone else seems to know?

Thanks! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help...Text Ad unapproved for policy other pharma clients are doin

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I am quite sure I fully understand the situation. However, the destination URL must mach the display URL. This is fundamental in Adwords;
A different issue is whether you comply with the healthcare and medicine section. This is  allowed only for informational pages by pharma manufacturers.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But why would there be dozens out there if it wasn't allowed. The diabetes example is just one of 13 examples I gathered this afternoon. How did they get approved?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Tara1

Pharma advertising is tricky Smiley Wink but luckily I have some experience!

#1 is this a Pharma manufacturer or an online pharmacy?
#2 Have you applied for an been granted appropriate certification from Google?
#3 Google has different Display/Dest rules for Pharma MFG because of the AMA rules and regulations around having both the Pharmaceutical name and Condition in the same ad (among other rules). For this reason Google can modify the display url as long as the ads are pointing directly to the official manufacturer brand website. This is something that will need to be handled by calling Google direct and speaking to someone in their ad review and policy department 866-2-Google.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Kim.
#1 It is a pharma manufacturer
#2/3 We have an account we use and we just today, are submitting the forms for certification but the people (2 different) we spoke to today told us it wouldn't matter we still need to meet the domain requirements.

Is there a specific "position" within the policy dept we should be asking for since the main people in the policy haven't been very helpful to us.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tara1
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

You should first apply for the certification.

.....The process.......
You will need to create a campaign with at least one ad pointing to the official brand website for Google to review.

Go ahead and set the sample up with the ugly display url for now.

Apply for the Certification through the online form.

Once you have the certification in place Google will be able to help you more.

You obviously got the wrong reps on your two attempts. Pharma MFG has so many rules and regs and you may have to try again to get a rep who knows their Pharma MFG rules there at G. - Does your agency have a rep that can facilitate this process for you? If not, go through the process I covered above and then call G again and ask to speak with someone in the policy team who is experienced in Pharma MFG.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Anytime and good luck!