AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Help! I've been locked out of the AdWords' Keyword Tool since last Thursday.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Last Thu I was MANUALLY performing keyword research for a client using the interal AdWords' tool.  I was seaching for keyword phrases in the tool and downloading results to spreadsheet so that I could load them all into Excel for evaluation later.  After 2-3 CAPTCHA challenges which I successfully answered each time, the tool locked me out because it "thought" I was some kind of scraper I guess.  But in reality EVERYTHING I was doing was being done manually. 

Anyway, I figured I would be locked out for a few hours, maybe a day.   But it has been going on 4 days now.  This is ridiculous.  I called AdWords support Friday after about 27 hours.  They took some info (a screen shot of the error saying I was locked out due to "unusual network traffic from my IP" or something to that effect).  But still nothing has been done.

Suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help! I've been locked out of the AdWords' Keyword Tool since last Thursday.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Canonical and welcome to the forum.

The internal tool doesn't use Captcha verification, only the external tool.  If your IP address has been identified as a threat (rightly or wrongly) then only support can help you clear any block, there's nothing we can do here.  

Can you still access and use the internal tool from within your account?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Re: Help! I've been locked out of the AdWords' Keyword Tool since last Thursday.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply Jon. 

As an FYI, the internal AdWords keyword tool most certainly does prompt you with a CATCHA if it detects what it believes to be too many searches being performed to quickly.  I've never even used the external AdWords tool as I'm always logged into my AdWords account when I access it.  Last Thu was not even th first time I've run into the the CAPTCHA with the internal tool.  I've seen it on numerous other occasions over the last 3 years, typically when doing heavy keyword research projects for clients involving thousands of keyword phrases.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Canonical, I've never seen Captcha internally, but it makes sense.  I must admit I'm struggling to think of a situation where  you'd needt to research thousands of Keywords.  Accounts with such a large number would typically involve Keywords that don't need research as such. E.g. products, book titles, DVDs, etc.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits