AdWords
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Got a Notification for Double Serving

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

We have a agency working for us on Adwords. The campaign was triggered and I heard back from them that they got a notification from Google for double serving. The reason for the notification is - Our global counter part is also running a campaign with similar keywords pointing to the same domain. 

Let me explain the structuring further. 

We have a global website - www.abcd.com. In that we have multiple business line. 

Now for a country say UK the website will be - www.abcd.com/uk which will again have links to businesses which are present in that country. 

So now the global team is running a Adwords campaign for a business and is serving those ads for UK as well. Now we triggered a UK specific campaign ourselves and got the notification for Double Serving. 

I went through the Double Serving policy and I realize we cant be running two similar campaigns for the same or similar domain. 

My questions are - 

1. How can we get out of this?

2. If we restrict the global campaign to specific geographies and our campaign to only UK will that solve the problem?

3. Will only pausing the global campaign help? Or we will need to delete the campaign? i.e. from the global account.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Got a Notification for Double Serving

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Pausing should help, but contact the Support first and tell them that you are advertising different landing pages, although within the same domain. That should be enough for Support to manually clear that automatic warning flag your account has got.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Vladislav,

See the global team is serving ads in UK. So even if the flag is removed by saying that we are using different landing pages we are still pointing to the same domain. So we might have a instance where ads for both (Global & UK) appear side by side.

Landing Page for Global - www.abcd.com/businessx
Landing page for UK - www.abcd.com/UK/businessx

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello;

Double serving is a serious violation of the policy, and you rather fix it ASAP.

Targeting the same domain using similar keywords from different accounts in not allowed (except some exceptions).

You should consolidate the accounts and target the domains using ONE account. (You could have multiple campaigns targeting different Geo regions- but all those campaigns, must run from one account!)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks for the reply.

I went through some of the threads on this. Also read the policy regarding "Double Serving". I understand what you are trying to point at. But then MNCs need a way out of this. The policy restricts the flexibility.  

Only option is

Consolidate the account as suggested by Moshe. The issue with this is that somebody will have run the whole campaign. i.e. either Global runs it or UK runs it for the whole world. But this takes me back to the flexibility issue. Does anybody have any idea how does Amazon run its ads for amazon.com and say amazon.uk? Do they run it centrally. 

Moshe - Can UK & Global run two separate campaigns pointing to 2 different URLs but having the same keywords with permission from Google? See this option gives both the teams more flexibility to do things.

This is potentially a big hassle for us. 

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again;

The double serving defines under what conditions the violation occurs, when targeting different domains owned by the same entity:

Common Ownership (defined below), plus when two or more of the following factors are present:

• Common product offering: For physical goods being sold, the sites share products in common such that a user browsing the site would perceive little difference in inventory between the sites.
  • Similar pricing: When pricing is available on the sites, there's a price difference between the sites of 25% or less for substantially the same product or service. When two or more sites solicit contact information from users in order to provide a custom quote, they will be considered to have zero price difference.
  • Similar customer support experience: The sites offer the same or similar type of product or service for which the customer can expect to receive the same or similar level of Support (defined below).
  • Brand: The sites have non-differentiated Brands (defined below) for which either the brand name is the same or the logo is the same.

Definitions

Common Ownership 
Common ownership occurs when the same entity, whether an individual or a business, owns or controls one or more of the sites in question at the time of multiple ad serving.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Anand, I think the key issue here is really quite simple.  Why are Global and yourselves both running Ads for the UK?  Double-serving stops being a problem as soon as you're dealing with separate targeted regions so the solution is either that Global stops advertising in the UK or you stop advertising.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits