AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Google's Double Standards on Double Serving

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have come to realize over the past few weeks that Google's double serving policy is a joke which is only enforced when they feel like it.

Here's the situation:

On 19/11/2014 I noticed that my competitor was running ads for two different websites on multiple keywords and taking up two ad positions at once. Straight away it was clear that they were double serving so I called Google to report it.The people I spoke to weren't very helpful and it was very much a case of "We'll get around to it whenever we feel like it and we won't tell you what the outcome is". 

A week later I had a look at the ad preview again and not only had Google not acted, but my competitor was running a THIRD website on the same keywords now as well. To add insult to injury, the daily budget I had previously been running without issue was now displaying a warning that some ads weren't being shown because the campaign was now limited by budget.

I called Google again on 24/11/2014 and yet again it proved to be totally pointless. I have made 4 more calls over the past 2 weeks and also reported the case several times online using Googles link for reporting violations.

I'm now faced with a situation where I'm competing against 3 websites from 1 competitor, my costs are rapidly rising and I have no faith whatsoever in Google to stop it as they just don't seem interested. The evidence is pretty blatant:

• The brand name and logo is identical on all 3 sites.
  • The content of all 3 sites clearly states that they offer exactly the same services in exactly the same area.
  • The owner of the business is mentioned by name on all 3 sites and described as the owner too.
  • Although the contact numbers displayed on the actual sites themselves are different, the call extensions on the ads show the same contact number.

For me, this is about as blatantly obvious as you can get. I just cannot believe that Google are incapable of making this determination for themselves, therefore, I can only assume that they don't want to penalize this and I suspect it may be to do with the fact that the perpetrator has spent a lot of money on adwords over the past 4 years.

Unless someone is stupid enough to double serve from one account or using the same website Google seem to have a very black and white view on double serving. They have set rules which can easily be circumvented without punishment and they seem content with that. They just seem to pick and choose which policies they enforce and which ones they don't.

I'm now at my witts end, there is pretty much nothing else I can do other than one of the following two options:

1. Stop advertising on Google
  2. Start double serving as well in order to be competitive 

If anyone could offer any advice or anything that could be of use to me I would greatly appreciate it....

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google's Double Standards on Double Serving

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Daniel;
I referred your initial thread on the topic to Google.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Google's Double Standards on Double Serving

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Daniel,

Don't do double serving. Chances are that you will be taken out first. Play the game right and keep reporting.

I know that it is very hard to be competitive in these conditions, but if you value your long term relation with Google, you have no other choice.

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu

PS: Yes, I can feel your frustration exactly. I have been through what you are getting now several times.