AdWords
30 members online now
30 members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Google advertiseing unethically destroying small business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I own a hotel and when users search for my business by name a mountain of adds come above my organic listing. These adds trick the user into clicking the add stating "book BUSINESS NAME now for cheaper" etc etc. These company's like booking.com, hostels.com etc etc use the adwords system to unethically advertise using my business, inserting the keyword the user typed in dynamically. They create a middle man which only inflates the price for the user and in turn makes small businesses like my own by the service and pay a fee from the middle man as they hijack my traffic. The ads are not only misleading but they also show fake urls for the ads to make them easier more appealing to the user to click on.

This is obviously not best for the Google user and small business owner. Do i have a leg to stand on? The users are searching for my trademarked business name. Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google advertiseing unethically destroying small business.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Harry.

If your business name is trademarked and you do not want other companies to show it in their ads, you can file a complaint as described here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562124

After filing the complaint you can authorize specific AdWords accounts that can use it in your ads. If you want, you can be the only one using it.

If you do not have a deal in place with booking.com and they do not list your property on their website, they will no longer be able to show your trademark in their ads. This does not mean, though, that they will not be able to show more generic ads triggered by your business name. But they will be less relevant and you will be able to show your ads (should you choose to advertise) above theirs and pay less for that.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
An additional question about this from a newer AdWords user here----Would one of those big travel aggregators be allowed to use keywords and search terms with this business-owner's name? If the hotel in question does not have a deal or relationship in place with the "booking agency/aggregator"....would they be allowed to "sneak/steal" customers by including the name of a business in their keywords?
Just wondering because what this hotel owner and AdWords advertiser is describing is a pretty big problem in the travel industry with some big sites taking reservations, but when the people show-up at the hotel they find that they do NOT have a reservation.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
TLDR: if I owned a coffee-shop, could I include, (unseen by viewers but used to place ads)--the placement or keywords or search-parameters of any kind, like "Starbucks" or any trademarked or copyrighted phrases that belong to someone else?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks-yes that could be the problem. The small hotel could contact the larger company and ask them specifically not to use their name in keywords and tell them that they will not honor any reservations made by those companies? And in the smaller company AdWords make sure to include the name of your hotel in quotes as some of the search-terms to help placement?

Trademark terms used in keywords
Google will not investigate or restrict the use of trademark terms in keywords, even if a trademark complaint is received.