AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Google add policy re phone numbers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have complained about a competitor who has been allowed to place their phone number in the add text of their google add as can be clearly seen below in the first add. I have raised this with google over the phone and also emailed through the proper channels regarding this infringment.could any one answer as to why google has not taken this add down as if it is afecting me in lost revenue then it must be affecting google also as it stops the need for people to click on the add. I feel it is rediculous that this add even got past screening and was allowed let alone continues to be approved. Feed back from all iss greatly appreciated.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=boiler+service&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBSmiley Surprisedfficial&client=...Smiley Surprised

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google add policy re phone numbers

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Shane,

Whilst Google does not allow you to put a phone number in the text of your ad - they do allow you (and your competitors) to add their phone number as a Call Extension - this is where these numbers are coming from - not from being added in the text - check it out and get your phone number added so that you are competing on a level playing field....

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shane,

I have clicked your link and I definetly see something wrong , the first ad has the phone number in 3 places, the normal call extension, the ad text and a sitelink Smiley Happy You are right to be irritated

phone-in-3-places.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thats what I thought as I have my sitelinks and call extensions running on my own adds but not in the add text. I tried to put the contact number in my site text as a test and it was refused within minutes. cant see why google aren't doing something about it as it is costing them money aswell as me.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't know how they do it but the line below the green one with the URL is just the field "Description line 2" from the Ad text, like all the other ads below.

The phone no in the sitelink should also be quickly dissaproved, i tried it in the past.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
These ads are from the "old days", that somehow "escaped the radar" when Google ran a "spring cleaning" last year. Just report to Google using this link;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I am just speculating, but sometimes Dynamic text ads can slip by the radar. For example, if they are using an adwords script for ad parameterizer, and using a spreadsheet dynamically adding their phone number into the ad. This might go undetected.

I know some people use dynamic keyword insertion to get trademark names into their ads...

I would recommend against doing any of these things, but if you want to know how they are getting away with it, that's one way.

From my experience with the ad policy team they are very responsive, and if you can show them the problem, they'll disapprove the ad.