AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Google URL Builder and new Final URLs

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone,

Just wondering about the new Final URL's which are replacing Destination URL's.

Many of my ads have URL's created using the Google URL builder - do I need to update these URLs and remove this tracking before the update goes live on July 1st?

I don't actually use the tracking from this any more so I have no problem in doing that - I just don't really want to lose all the historical data by changing the URL;s.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Laura

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ratan-Jha (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Google URL Builder and new Final URLs

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

If you are using only UTM parameters as tracking and there's no advanced redirects, there's nothing to worry. You must have got an email from Google by now, saying - You qualify for an auto-upgrade of your AdWords URLs. If you got one, there's nothing that you need to do. No action is required, simply wait for July 1st when Google upgrades your URLs for you. 

And yes, it won't affect your campaign history. However, if you get ahead to remove tracking from your URLs at the moment without upgrading to Final URLs properly, it will reset your history.

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Ratan is correct - just to add - since you are just using URL parameters, you won't need to use a tracking template in the future if you don't want to. You can just add your URLs to the "Final URL" including all of their parameters (the same as you would've had them in the destination URL). You don't need to upgrade, as Ratan said, because you will qualify for the auto-upgrade but I just wanted to make sure that you understood for future reference! Also, with the auto-upgrade, all Google is going to do is move your URLs from the 'destination URL' cell to the 'Final URL' cell. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Amy Bishop
AmyBishopMarketing.com

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Laura,

If you are using only UTM parameters as tracking and there's no advanced redirects, there's nothing to worry. You must have got an email from Google by now, saying - You qualify for an auto-upgrade of your AdWords URLs. If you got one, there's nothing that you need to do. No action is required, simply wait for July 1st when Google upgrades your URLs for you. 

And yes, it won't affect your campaign history. However, if you get ahead to remove tracking from your URLs at the moment without upgrading to Final URLs properly, it will reset your history.

Hope it helps. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Ratan is correct - just to add - since you are just using URL parameters, you won't need to use a tracking template in the future if you don't want to. You can just add your URLs to the "Final URL" including all of their parameters (the same as you would've had them in the destination URL). You don't need to upgrade, as Ratan said, because you will qualify for the auto-upgrade but I just wanted to make sure that you understood for future reference! Also, with the auto-upgrade, all Google is going to do is move your URLs from the 'destination URL' cell to the 'Final URL' cell. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps!

Amy Bishop
AmyBishopMarketing.com