AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Google Top Ad is a competitor using my company name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run a small rental company in the US, and a local competitor has started to use my company in their ad. So if you search for the name of my company, let's say Paul's cool Rentals, my yelp shows up 1st, my website 2nd, but above both on the top ad, the first words you see in the link is Paul's cool Rentals, and because my website is different than the business, someone looking for me specifically may end up on her site. I haven't reached out to the shady individual who did this, but want to take action if I can.

Please let me know if you can provide any helpful details.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Top Ad is a competitor using my company name

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Paul,

Google offers a Trademark Complaint Form:
https://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_tmcomplaint

If you don't have a trademark, you can run ads yourself bidding on your company name. Most businesses find that doing this is profitable (you get more visits that from organic results alone, you can control the message, and clicks are quite cheap). It also means that, because your click-through rate should be much higher, it can cause your competitor's campaign to cost much more, and they could quit.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Adding to RobSkelton, if a competitor is using your company name in the keywords, what you can do is you also run ads in your company name.

As you are the company owner, if you also have the domain on the same name then Google will give you preference as you can use it many times in your ad(including final url, display url, headline, description lines).

Consequently, you will always have a higher QS, and you will have a low CPC bid for the same keyword as compared to competitors and your ads will be shown on top of competitors.

You can also use the flexible bid strategy- Target Outrank Share to outrank that competitor.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have the same issue for my customer who has trademarked his brand name. We have filed a complaint to the trademarks as well as to google ad support and nothing has happened. The competitor is running the ads still. Is there anyway to stop this ? Who should I contact ?

_uma