AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Google Site Landing Page Policies On Geo Redirects Ridiculous

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having issues with a site being suspended... I have this issue in the past with this client as they have a geo-redirect for users outside of the countries they are advertising in to a 'This content is not available in your country'. YES, I am aware that the landing page policy states that the landing page must be accessible in all countries, regardless of where you are actually advertising.

However, the reason for the geo-redirect is that the client only has legal rights to the content in certain countries. I.e. It would be a terrible user experience if users outside of our targeted countries could actually access the site and purchase the service, as they would actually not be able to view the content in their country they have paid for. And if the content was made available, our client would likely be sued big time!

Due to this, the site has been granted an exception in the past (around 5 times) to the normal landing page policy. BUT, recently the site has been suspended again, and the AdWords help team is not budging, and are saying that an exception did not exist in the first place.

I understand the reasons for this landing page policy... it is to prevent bad user experience for people who may land on a 'Not available' type page. But surely common sense should prevail as no AdWords traffic we are sending to this site will be getting the 'Not Available' landing page, and there are lots of advertisers these days that only have the legal rights to content in certain countries. 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Site Landing Page Policies On Geo Redirects Ridiculous

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hmm... let me try calling the AdWords policy veteran here.

@MosheTLV....

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Leanne C,

Was is it not possible for your client to create specific landing pages with Content that is actually permitted to specific countries? Doing that might have not involved any sort of geo filter that you are talking about. That's my perspective here.

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Leanne C;

To continue with the same line by @pankaj1782 - the way to set this is to block the purchase / transaction once the user tries to buy the content, rather than redirecting to a different landing page. The landing page has to be accessible from all locations - this is a fundamental principle of AdWords.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the replies everyone. We are looking at creating a more comprehensive landing page for users that are redirected, but of course this takes time and money. One of the frustrations with this is the inconsistent messages from Google where the site is suspended, suspension removed, and repeat. The site suspension has now been removed again despite no changes made to the landing page...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Leanne C;

Can you share the landing page URL so we can have a look for a  possible reason?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’