AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Google Experimenting Adblock service.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I read an article saying that Google is experimenting with a service that will enable web surfers to block out all advertising for a small monthly fee. Is it really going to work? If Yes, then most of the users will not see display ads on webpages they are browsing. It will be a loss for the advertiser.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arpit A
September 2015

Re: Google Experimenting Adblock service.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I personally don't have a direct solution and don't believe one exists but someone might be able to prove me wrong. I know a report was conducted last year stating that 20 - 30% of online users were using these services which, despite being a large percentage, still gives you a large audience to target (depending on the industry in question). The indirect solution is to ensure sure you make the most of the traffic that you CAN target.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I personally don't think you're going to see too much of an impact unless Google really pushes the service and that's dependent on whether it actually leaves the experimentation phase at all. Free and paid versions of this service are already on offer by other companies (for quite a while now) so it's a good question of whether it's actually going to work. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi ScottyD,

Thank you for answering. If it is going to work then don't you think it will be a challenge for advertisers to target those users who will use this service. I mean it would be extremely impossible to target them. Until Google provide a solution for the same.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I agree with what you are saying but bare in mind that this service does not cut out display ads from all sites, just a handful (six at this current moment) which are significantly popular with the public. If this spreads to the extent of allowing any website to participate in the service then you might see a decrease in display impressions but as I say, there are already companies who have been offering this for free for a number of years now I believe.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Alright, I got it.

In your opinion What could be possible solution for this?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arpit A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I personally don't have a direct solution and don't believe one exists but someone might be able to prove me wrong. I know a report was conducted last year stating that 20 - 30% of online users were using these services which, despite being a large percentage, still gives you a large audience to target (depending on the industry in question). The indirect solution is to ensure sure you make the most of the traffic that you CAN target.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Alright.

Let's see if the experiment is successful.