AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Google Account Susupension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Team,

Recently my AdWords account has been suspended. I wanted to understand the reason. Since, I have been promoting my site on Call- Only Campaign starting October last year for and everything was good until some days back. However, I have not been promoting my business since February because we were going some changes and operations were pause completely. I received an email that I am violating some policies repetitively, even when I have not used my account for promotions for so many days now and I have been always promoting ads as per the guidelines.

We are into Travel agency business and I have not been using any airline trademark in my ads, I never did that, not even single time. I have been using trademark in display url as that is permitted by Google and I had many conversation with Google on phone regarding if I can use trademark even in Display URL and I have always been advised to use trademark by Google representative to make my ads more relevant to my Keywords. But, Now surprisingly Google team says I can not even use trademark in Display URL and I don't see any such policy update anywhere, Is there any document or policy update from Google on not using Trademark in display url?? if yes, please guide me how to find it. We have been promoting and spending a lot on Google because they allowed and advised us to use trademark in display URL and now since I see there have been some blunders in airline industry due to these pay per call campaigns or may be because of some advertisers using trademark in ad copies ( I have no idea how Google approved them in first place and let them run ads, I guess just to make money until no one complaints) Google has suspended accounts for people trying to follow guidelines as well. I would like to know if there is any possibility to speak with someone to find out what are the policy updates and if Google want us to undergo some changes to satisfy themselves that we are trying to do legit business here not some scams. It would be better if Google be more transparent and not just ask advertisers to go through their policies those are completely confusing and not honest at all. As everyone know but still this is what Google trademark policy says and still they suspend your account after let you run ads for time they wish to make money from you. When I spoke with adwords rep he said this is printed on site by mistake ( does not make any sense and started yelling at me)

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Ad display URLs

As described in the section above, Google can investigate and may restrict the use of trademarks in ad text. This process does not apply to trademarks used in an ad's display URL (the website address shown in green within an ad).

Google will not investigate and restrict use of the trademark in display URLs because the presence of trademarked term within a URL may not necessarily constitute trademark use, such as in the case of post-domain paths or subdomains. Trademark owners can contact the advertiser directly regarding any concerns about display URLs. Please understand that Google is not in a position to be the arbiter of third-party disputes. Additionally, if the domain name contains or is similar to a trademark, but is actually owned by the advertiser, the trademark owner is the appropriate party to handle the matter, such as through the Uniform Domain Resolution Process (UDRP).

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Account Susupension

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Indeed, Google not always investigate the use of a trade name in the display URL. But that doesn't mean this is allowed to practice. Upon complaint, Google could investigate. In any case using trade names is restricted as explained in the Policy
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Google Account Susupension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your advise. I understand that using Trademark in Display URL might create trouble for trademark owners if someone tries to use it with wrong intention. However, since it is allowed and Google clearly mention it it's policy as I mentioned above, putting it again below. My confusion is that why does Google say it in their policy that they won't even investigate if trademark used in Display URL - (Google will not investigate and restrict use of the trademark in display URLs because the presence of trademarked term within a URL may not necessarily constitute trademark use, such as in the case of post-domain paths or subdomains. Trademark owners can contact the advertiser directly regarding any concerns about display URLs. Please understand that Google is not in a position to be the arbiter of third-party disputes. Additionally, if the domain name contains or is similar to a trademark, but is actually owned by the advertiser, the trademark owner is the appropriate party to handle the matter, such as through the Uniform Domain Resolution Process (UDRP).) This create the problem and confuses advertisers and make them use it until Google gets in any trouble and once it happens Google completely shuts down everyone.

I am writing on this forum not to get my account active as I know it won't happen for sure, I am not negative or I have not been doing anything illegal to say this.But, I know Google won't do it as they had enough from people misusing it and now they don't need them any more.

Anyways, thank you that you made it clear on this forum that one should not rely on using Trademark even in display URl and must not trust what Google publishes in policy, always make sure you advertise at your own risk and be ready to lose your account anytime, no matter how legal you are.

I need someone experienced to advised are we going to be okay if we do not use trademark nowhere in our ad's at all ?? or airline ticketing business is going to be a trouble to advertise at all. Are we going to be okay if we use trademark as keywords as again in Google policy they say they do not restrict use of trademark in Keywords - but again just want to make sure is that for sure or does Google keeps the right to suspend you whenever they feel like, when you use trademark in keywords.