AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Generic adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If a company name is generic, not trademarked , what is there to stop me targetting in adwords?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Generic adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Toby,

Can you tell us a little more? Are you having issues or just working with hypothetical situations?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
An established competitor whose name is a generic term ( rejected by trade marked) similar to my business name a similar generic term (not trade marked) has placed an adword using my business name. I am new to google adwords and if this is normal practice i intend to place adwords using my competitors generic name , although i do not believe this is ethical.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Toby,

Take a look at the policy page here:  https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

There are a couple of possibilities here.

1. If he's bidding on your name as a keyword in the account. That is allowed

"Trademark terms used in keywords

Google will not investigate or restrict the use of trademark terms in keywords, even if a trademark complaint is received."

2. If he's using your name in an ad, I'm not sure there is any recourse if you don't have it trademarked.  Trademarks are not really my specialty, I'm a marketer.  Smiley Happy  But in the same token, if you were to use his trademarked name in your ad (not keywords...actually using the name in the ad), that falls under another section of the policy.  

"Trademark terms used in ad text

Google will investigate and may restrict the use of a trademark within ad text. Ads using restricted trademarks in their ad text may not be allowed to run. This policy applies worldwide."

There are some exceptions listed as well that may be worth looking into. 

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tommy, Just to clarify. If the word or words are not trademarked then they can be used as a adword even though they represent the name of a competing business?