AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Gambling Related Content and Countries Restrictions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There are a couple of issues considering gambling related content policies. I've been struggling with the support for months but still have no clear answer.

I'm trying to start a search campaign for a company that sells online gambling software to operators. It does not run any gambling by itself. There are a lot of countries that may be targeted with such a content. For example, for Canada or Netherlands I don't need a local license to run ads. But my ads are declined due to "Gambling license needed".

I have tried asking the official support several times, and the answers I have received were confusing:

1. Double check the targeting - if only Canada is selected the ad should be approved. Did this - did not work.

2. Get Google certification. But the certification form does not list Canada since official policy does not require a specific license for this country. So no way to be certified.

Any ideas?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Gambling Related Content and Countries Restrictions

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ekaterina,

Did you try filing the below form?

*** Disapproved ads and policy questions ***
https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/approvals

"... for Canada ... I don't need a local license to run ad ... "

That's not correct. You are bumping into Policies by that approach of yours. See this help page:

***   Gambling and games / Country restrictions...***

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6018017?hl=en#apply

Your product is a gambling-related product that is allowed only with limitations in Canada. However, the limitations mean 2 principal preconditions:

1. Promotion is only allowed for state-licensed entities.
2. The advertiser also needs a Google certification for Canada that you can apply for here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6018017?hl=en#apply

You don't seem to comply with art 1, else you would have mentioned that you were a state-licensed entity; hence your ad campaigns will never be approved. If you are in fact state-licensed, then heads over to the page linked-to above in art 2 and try getting also your Google certification whereupon you'll be considered compliant.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Lakatos,

Thanks for the answer. You told me the same thing as the support did, and my question to them (how to get certified for Canada) had no answer.

We are a registered company, we have state registrations in US and Russia, and have been running gambling related ads before (this February, to be exact), including targeting on Canada, so there's should not be a problem. I should have mentioned that.

As for certification, there's no way to be certified for Canada, the country's not on the list in the certification form.

That's why I'm asking.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ekaterina,

You seem to be consequently mixing up the 2 Preconditions described above. Will try to clarify them for you again, although it is not always clear whether you are talking about a Canadian State License or a Google Certificate for Canada. Both are required to be compliant.

Precondition No 1 - Canadian State License

" ... my question to them (how to get certified for Canada) had no answer ... "

More precisely: how to get state licensed in Canada. (precondition No1) - That's none of Google's business. It's completely between your company and Canada.

Find a proper lawyer who can advise you on how to do it.

"...have been running gambling related ads before (this February, to be exact), including targeting on Canada..."

Does not prove much because you simply escaped detection.

Precondition No 2 -  Google Certificate

"... there's no way to be certified for Canada ... "

That's not correct if you are referring to a Google Certificate. The link I posted above can be used for applying for a Google Certificate for Canada, provided you are in compliance with Precondition No 1.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"More precisely: how to get state licensed in Canada. (precondition No1)"

Are you sure about this? Policies do not say we should be licensed in Canada (compare with requirements for Portugal, for instance, or Australia - it's definitely clear that for these territories we should be licensed there, but not for Canada).

"Google Certificate for Canada"
Double checked. There's no such Smiley Wink

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Ekaterina,

Please refer to the snip below my signature. Find the text "Google allows ads promoting the following gambling-related products by state-licensed entities" in the lower "Gambling-related products" section. Now whether or not you can get a State License from Canada depends on Canadian Civil Law. If the sub-categories listed are just examples maybe you may get one for your product. In contrast, if the list is exhaustive, maybe you won't get a Canadian license. However, that's an issue associated with Canadian Civil Law and far beyond the scope of this forum and our expertise. You are advised to seek legal advice from a lawyer specialized in solving such issues in Canada.

Your query is much appreciated.

Best,

Lakatos

Country restrictions:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6018017?hl=en#apply

Capture-jun24.PNG