AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Gambling Certification

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been having this battle for two week with my own UK site.

Adwords say I need a licence from the Gambling Commission, but there is no licence is existence for my business type - I provide betting tips, I'm not taking bets!

However I see various and less professional competitors advertising without issue.

Does somebody need a brown envelope to approve me or something?

The site has various age warnings and links to GamCare, etc but I seem unable to get a response from anybody at Adwords who can help.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Gambling Certification

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

We had this issue in the past. Betting tips are not allowed to be promoted on Google;

>>"Google restricts the promotion of the following gambling-related content:

• offline and online gambling
  • online gambling-related information"

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6018017?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Darren M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Darren,

The policy specific to the UK states:

"Google allows ads promoting the following gambling-related products as long as the advertiser is registered with the Gambling Commission and provides a valid operating license number.

Gambling-related promotional products such as gambling-related vouchers, bonus codes, etc.
Gambling-related tutoring and educational materials such as books and e-books
Gambling-related information such as tips, odds, and handicapping
Advertisers must also be certified with Google."

You could apply for a certification with Google here:  https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6018017?hl=en

But I'm just not positive that you're going to get very far without the stated registration and valid operating license number.

I'm seeing that a recent bill was enacted regarding gambling and advertising - and odd combination IMO but it must be important.  

In browsing the FAQ here http://licensingadvertisingact.blogspot.com/2014/07/24-overseas-operators-that-wish-to-only.html - the commission has received (in some manner) some advertising only requests...have you tried this already?  If you haven't would email info@gamblingcommission.gov.uk and find out directly.  

Ultimately, there may be nothing you can do but it's worth a shot to do some homework.  

As far as competitors - again, take a look at what you can do - this site may be of assistance - http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

and as always, you can use Google's feeback forms as well.  https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507?rd=1

Good Luck!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tommy, incredibly helpful.

I can't explain how frustrated I've been trying to communicate with Adwords (lack of) Support these last two weeks. I know it's possible as a search for some of my keywords brings up ads for 3-4 competitor sites, all UK based.

Will take your advice and reach out to the Gambling Commission,

Darren

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Ohhh.. Tommy really "dived into" and  did a full research of  the UK gambling regulations...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I get in touch with the Gambling Commission and as I've been saying to Adwords for several weeks, they confirm that my business does NOT need a licence.....

"Dear Darren

Thank you for your email regarding a tipster service that you offer.

As there would not actually be any form of gambling taking place on the website itself, this type of website would not come under the Gambling Commission’s remit. As you will only be providing information, advice and tips, I can confirm that you would not currently require a licence from the Gambling Commission. 

With regards to providing advertising, any visitors to your website would be directed to an external website that is not maintained by you, where the actual gambling transactions take place. As there would not actually be any form of gambling taking place on the website itself, and no money would be changing hands in relation to bets being placed, you would not require a licence for this. You would, however, need to ensure that any operators you do advertise are licenced by the Gambling Commission if you do wish to provide facilities to British consumers. Please refer to the following link for a list of the remote licences that the Gambling Commission currently offer: Remote Gambling Licences.

f you require more information on gambling advertising rules and regulations, please click here.

To gain a better understanding of your needs and expectations, we would be grateful if you could take part in our online survey.  Please click on the following link.

Yours sincerely 

Meera Vithlani

Licensing Officer"

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again Darren;

As mentioned in my initial reply, per Google's Plociy in any location in which gambling is banned or restricted (almost all locations),  promoting information  about gambling (including tips and analysis) is prohibited.

In restricted locations - only advertisers who have the regulatory certificate to promote gambling, can (also) promote gambling  information / tips and analysis.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My dilemma is that I can see several competitors based in the same country as myself, targeting the same country as myself, advertising their sites.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Are you sure that they are not registered?. If they are not, you should file a complaint.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

100% sure, there's nothing they can register for in UK