AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

French keywords failing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Folks,

I'm tring to run a campaign that targets French countries using French keywords, however, Google is throwing an error back at me, "Punctuation - nonstandard punctuation". The keywords I'm using are:

broyeur a sel

broyeur a sel et poivre

moulin a sel et poivre

fabricant de broyeurs a poivre

fabricant de moulins a sel

broyeur a poivre

moulin a poivre

moulin a sel

In english I have "salt and pepper", "salt and pepper supplier" and the likes and Google has no problems with those, so I'm not quite sure why it's unhappy with these. I've set the campaigns target language to French and I've only selected French speaking countries as the audience.

Anyone able to assist me?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: French keywords failing

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I think you have better chance of getting answer at french community 

https://www.fr.adwords-community.com/t5/Communaut%C3%A9-AdWords/ct-p/AdWords

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't speak French, or I would have done that.

Someone said you set the language and then add English words, and Google translates them for you, hmm

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChristopherM
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi ChristopherM;;

Try to remove the prepositions   " a, " and "de "

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe, I actually played around with that and some of the keywords make it through and some don't. I'm going to spend a little more time playing around though and see what I can come up with, but my options are becoming very limited Smiley Happy

In english I can use prepositions, so it's odd that in another language I can't.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

ChristopherM;

What match type are you using? In English, using broad match you omit propositions : e.g : "salt pepper", in broad match vs. "salt and pepper" in exact match. The same applies in French

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChristopherM
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe,

What I ended up doing was removing the prepositions, saving the AdGroup, then going back into edit mode and Google suggested a whole assortment of keywords in French, which I could add with ease, using Google Translate here and there to make sure the correct keywords were being suggested.

Yay! Thank you for your help Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

ChristopherM;

And last advice:

Ask a native speaking French to take at your ad-copy;

Language is a matter of culture; Do not count on google translate!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I actually started off by having a French person define a list of keywords for me, I'm well aware at how terrible Google Translate can be Smiley Very Happy

Have yourself a wonder day Moshe, and thank you for the assistance, I truly appreciate it!

Btw.. For the Portuguese and German campaigns I set up right now, the keywords just worked, I didn't have to remove prepositions or anything - interesting Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christopher,

This is not actually an answer to your problem, but just a comment. I also have to work with many keywords in French in some of my campaigns and I have never had this problem. I have many keywords with prepositions in my campaigns and also many keywords with special characters (accents). I find this very weird. Perhaps a Google employee could explain this discrepancy?

Best,

Lortron3000