AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Faulty automatic trademark checker blocks legitimate ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

The text "Encrypt and decrypt PDF documents in your C and C++ applications" is blocked due to the "C and C" trademark. For those who don't know, C and C++ are names of the most wide-spread programming languages in the world.

Looks like automatic trademark checking needs fixing, or, better, rewriting for more sane rules.

Sincerely yours,
Eugene Mayevski

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Faulty automatic trademark checker blocks legitimate ads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I briefly checked the US Patent and Trademark office and did not see C++ and C as trademarks in that meaning;

Can we see the full ad-text?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That was the complete text (two lines combined). The problem is that the automatic parser strips non-alphanumeric characters (in our case "++") and then considers "C and C" to be a trademark. That's obviously wrong as there's no trademark on the screen.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi

We need to see the exact ad- text to be able to comment;

I do not think the either C, C++ or "C and C" are the reason, A colleague that read this discussion mentioned "C and C" as an option, and I did check "C and C".  I did not find it as a trade-name.

• My assumption: something else in the text..
  • On the Policy column, on the ads tab, what is the policy violation you are getting ?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Emm ... There's nothing to assume or guess here. I have got the message in the balloon saying that the add has Disapproved status due to Trademark "C and C". This is exactly why I have started this topic.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Well... You might be missing a point that others might see (or not ..) This is the reason you asked a Community's help - Isn't it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No. I created the topic to report an issue, not to ask for help (or to put it differently, to ask for help in bringing the bug to developers' attention). This discussion forum is the only place left by google for feedback.