AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Enhanced Campaigns: No longer allowed to put phone #'s in ad text?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As I was reading the migration pdf for enhanced campaigns, I noticed that they seem to be disallowing phone #'s in ad text going forward. Is that true?

"If your campaigns contain ads that have a phone number within the ad text, these ads will be 
disapproved. You can move the phone number to a call extension." -near bottom of page 11, http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/adwords/enh...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Enhanced Campaigns: No longer allowed to put phone #'s in ad text?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi passportaaron, well, it certainly says it in the guide, though I can't comment personally.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, I was just trying to confirm. This won't hurt my strategy since I've always thought it seemed desperate to have the phone # in the ad text as well as the ad extension, but I have clients who insist on it being present so it would be good to know. I still can't find anything about this on the web anywhere. I think a lot of people will be surprised when they get auto-upgraded to enhanced campaigns and their ads cease to run because they have phone #'s in them.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It's actually on page 14 of the Upgrade guide:

"If your campaigns contain ads that have a phone number within the ad text, these ads will be disapproved. You can move the phone number to a call extension."

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the deadline to remove ads with phone numbers? I have heard that phone numbers must be removed "soon" regardless of whether your campaign is migrated to Enhanced? Is this true?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tested setting up an ad with phone # in the text in enhanced campaigns and it ran, so I don't think they've implemented this policy yet, even in enhanced campaigns.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for that! Our Adwords rep just told us that March 1 was the date that they MAY start disapproving ads with static phone numbers regardless of Enhanced migration status, so this is really just an editorial rule change. Presumably this would begin by not allowing new ads. We're going to be forced to retraffic a ton of currently CPA-effective ads.