AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate keywords problem even though exact match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I have set up a new campaign with 4 different adgroups to target a set of similar (but not duplicate) keywords, one keyword per focused ad.  All keywords are set as exact match and are in the format [mainkeyword variant] (e.g [house construction], [house builder] etc.

Unfortunately only one adgroup will actually display.  In the others the keyword is flagged as a duplicate.

An old campaign includes the same keywords in a variety of match types. The campaign is paused and so are the individual adgroups and keywords.

My questions are:  

1 is the old campaign influencing the duplicates issue even though it is paused?

2 Will the new ads be displayed even though I get a duplicate error message - I read that it is a warning not an absolute.?

3 Would it help to switch off close variants?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Gareth

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gareth E
October 2015

Re: Duplicate keywords problem even though exact match

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
If I understand your setup.

Have you added keywords that are positive in group 1, as negative keywords to groups 2,3,4 etc?

Example - Group one keywords
[house builder]

In other ad groups Add [house builder] as a negative.

Thereby forcing the query to the respective ad group you want the ad and keyword to show.

follow the same pattern to add negative keywords to all other groups making only your one group available to serve the user query.

My questions are:
1 is the old campaign influencing the duplicates issue even though it is paused?
NO

2 Will the new ads be displayed even though I get a duplicate error message - I read that it is a warning not an absolute.? -
only one Keyword will trigger the Ad based upon the individual Ad Rank for that keyword ( baring a negative keyword that restricts it from showing)

3 Would it help to switch off close variants?
negative keyword scrupling is your best bet, based upon my understanding of your setup into individual ad groups.

Re: Duplicate keywords problem even though exact match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Eric. I added some negatives and used your insights to look thoughtfully at how I had structured the campaigns - and then changed them.

Regards

Gareth