AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Does Google provides list of Trade Marks which I can not used?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I working for many clients which competitors are using they trademark as KW and as text in text ads.

I would like to see which of my clients are registered in Google and which should I prevent.

Thanks,

- Lukas
3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lukas Melichar
November 2015

Re: Does Google provides list of Trade Marks which I can not used?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Lukas,

Google doesn't provide the list of registered trademark, but if you have a Google representative in touch with you, you can ask them if a specific brand is blocked.

One other very important thing: although in some countries you can bid on competitors keywords, it's against the policies to have your competitor name as part of your ad. This is a worldwide rule. This can lead to account suspension: More about this here:
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Lukas,

As Leandrofm mentioned, the policies do vary from place to place but using TM in ad copy should be reported and, if I were you, I would start the complaint process sooner than later. Along with understanding the specific policies for the locations you're dealing with, I've found this troubleshooter super helpful ( https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/troubleshooter/6123119 ).

You can walk through multiple options and paths to understand which scenario you're actually dealing with. If Google has never heard from your client or from the brand regarding a TM issue, you, as an agency representative, you'll be able to do most of the work. If there has been previous TM complaints and/or TM registered with Google, you'll likely have to get in touch with whomever was handling it previously, or whomever is listed as the TM owner (likely your client). Checking the forms ahead of time will help you better understand the information you need to make an official Trademark Complaint with Google (Paperwork or Contacts may need to be tracked down etc...).

Ultimately, by filing a claim, I believe you're also essentially registering the trademark with Google. I think this helps them better understand which ones to enforce.

Although the process is fairly straightforward, if you don't have a rep you can work with, contacting support directly can't hurt.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Lukas Melichar

In the EU you could use this tool, by the EU trademark bureau,  to find  the classes under which YOUR client's  brand is registered. First check  if indeed the use of the trademark in the competitor's ad, is in a context which  violates the trade-name, under the those classes.

https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/welcome

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’