AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Do you consider this double serving poll?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I'd like to start a poll and find out whether or not you think this is considered double serving. Same company, 2 different domains, both showing up on SERP. Lets hear it people!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Do you consider this double serving poll?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

The unfortunate reality is we're not the ones who get to make these decisions.  No one here can honestly comment for the policy teams nor are we privy to what goes into such decisions...we just have to live with them or report them and hope for the best.  

Run a search for 'cell phone providers' or 'yellow pages advertising', you'll see similar results to the ones you have outlined below, properties owned by the same company/corporation promoting similar services and products with different domains and sites.  Some probably are allowed due to mergers and acquisitions, others could be due to enough variation of services and pricing.  I don't think any of us will ever know but if I had to guess, these examples have been reviewed over and over by now. 

This Experian example certainly "looks" like it could violate the DS policy but the sites could vary enough and offer enough of a variation of services that it is allowed.  When you get into accounts this large, there are generally Account Mangers that will oversee what is happening and will confirm whether or not something like this is okay to do.  I'm fairly confident that Experian would be devastated, just like anyone would be, if they were permanently suspended and makes sure to avoid such a penalty at all costs. 

My couple cents...we see quite a few Double Serving violations here and often they're due to mistakes people make by opening a second account or something like that.  Gotta know the rules if you want to play this game.

-Tom 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm very familiar with account managers, as I have worked with Jonika Hoomes on many occasions. It's just unfortunate that big corporations and businesses are able to continue to get slapped on the wrist, while small and medium size businesses make a single mistake and their accounts are suspended.

This past month I have done a ton of research and have found many sites that are doing things against policy, many of which are big companies, some even fortune 500 companies, yet we all report report report and nothing ever comes from the report.

Both of these ads in my opinion are considered double serving. Why do I think this? Because when you search "credit report" you get both ads appearing and freecreditreport is an Experian product.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi all,

Double Serving policy is a nuanced one that was actually revamped a bit earlier in the year.  Rather than go with gut feeling (or even the similarity of ads alone), we built in a granular series of checks that do allow for site pairs to "miss" one of the criteria and still serve on the same SERP.  The Experian instance you bring up is a very close one, but the difference in pricing (when introductory and free offers are taken into account) is what keeps these two on the right side of the policy.

Best,

Cody

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks Cody for your help and clarification!

Much Appreciated! 

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Cody! Is it safe to assume that as long as you have complete different pricing and free offers on different domain names that this is going to be safe to go with? We'd like to test something out for one of our patented products which is a Guitar ShoulderStrap called "ShoulderAxe" and it's made with all natural leather. We're wanting to offer an indroductory offer on one domain but have the other domain a place where users can purchase the strap outright without having any type of promotion or intro price.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Leatherlidinser,

I would not push it if I were you.  If I recall correctly, you're already having some issues with suspensions right?  Why push the boundaries?  Are you trying to get banned?

-Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the message Tom! We had suspension with a different product due to user safety policy. This product has nothing to do with the suspension, so I'm really not sure why you are implying we are trying to get banned. We would like to run a similar campaign, as we own the patents to a large number of niche products and I can see the benefits of doing a introductory style campaign for a new product while also having our other ads continue to run. We are concerned that this may be considered "double serving" which is really why I created this thread in the first place. We are very pleased to see an actual Google Employee give us his input on this situation. It gives us peace of mind knowing that there is the possibility of doing such a beneficial campaign while being within policy. We also are wanting to get clarification regarding this before we execute the campaign. I'm sure that you understand where we are coming from, as time is money and we are unwilling to waste time on this type of campaign if it is going to be too much hassle. This would also be a limited campaign, where the first x amount of users would be eligible to receive the shoulder strap free of charge. In return, we would went out user survey's to get product development input so that we can get a better understanding of how we can improve our product. As I stated before, the straps are made with 100% genuine leather and are hand crafted in the good olde United States of America, in the backwoods of North Fort Myers. We take pride in our workmanship. Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi,

Why I responded this way is you seem to know what you're talking about and also understand the policies.  Yet you admit that why you posted this is to see what you could and couldn't try yourself. To me that is pushing boundaries.  But what do I know...

Experian = major corporation with similar but separate entities offering varying products at varying prices. 

I think it's a mistake to assume that you can accomplish the same thing using one product.  But again this is only my opinion.  I guess what I would do would be to run a campaign experiment with varying offers, not create a separate website and attempt to run two accounts at the same time.

It's flirting with disaster if you ask me...ultimately the decision is yours.

Good Luck!

-Tom

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Tom for the advice. I think what we're going to do ultimately is run this campaign on a different ad network, that is unless we get more clarification from Cody.

We are not wanting to push boundaries, we are just wanting to do the same type of campaign. We would even be willing to create a separate entity to give it a test run.

Regarding campaign experiment, we have done this in the past and it has proven to not work for our targeted audience.

And just to clarify, we would not be just purchasing a new domain name and creating and separate account for the domain, we would be creating a separate account for the new business entity that would be outside of our main business. So basically it would be the same product but with two different business models.