AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Do Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI) ads work with trademarks?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I've read somewhere that:

If a dynamic insertion would cause a trademark to appear in the ad, Google will simply use the default ad text instead.

There seems to be a lot of confusion of whether this is correct, or if indeed, the trademark will be inserted - does anyone know for sure?

Background:
One of my clients is using DKI ads in campaigns that are also bidding on trademarked keywords.

My client is neither a competitor nor a reseller of that specific trademarked mobile app, but they offer a free download of an ebook with tipps on using that particular app.

I'm concerned that we're not allowed to use that trademark in the ad copy (or are we?), but through DKI it might still show up in the copy, making us/them liable to unauthorised use of the trademark.

Does anyone know if this is actually the case, i.e. if DKI will actually show up with trademark keywords?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Re: Do Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI) ads work with trademarks?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Eva M,

There have been such instances in the past when a trademark term did show in the ad texts if  they were as keywords in the adgroup. Not sure if it still happens. 

I would advise you to avoid DKIs when you have violation-prone trademark keywords in the adgroup. There have been several cases where the trademark owners have taken legal actions against trademark violations through ad copies. 

Better play safe. The best would be to put all trademark keywords in one adgroup and use normal text ads, not DKIs.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Eva,

I'm not 100% certain on the fact but I'm guessing that Google would just revert to the standard text advert as if they didn't this would be a easy work around of the trademark rule that would be more well known by now.

Probably best to get clarification on this by ringing Google themselves.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Well... This is a very nice question, and honestly, I haven't tested... As you pointed out, trade-names are allowed as keywords, hence, they actually can be inserted as DKI, I don't know if the system blocks them for DKI.

Let's see if someone who heavily uses trade-names can help with that.

@Ratan-Jha?
@pankaj1782?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2016

Re: Do Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI) ads work with trademarks?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Eva M,

There have been such instances in the past when a trademark term did show in the ad texts if  they were as keywords in the adgroup. Not sure if it still happens. 

I would advise you to avoid DKIs when you have violation-prone trademark keywords in the adgroup. There have been several cases where the trademark owners have taken legal actions against trademark violations through ad copies. 

Better play safe. The best would be to put all trademark keywords in one adgroup and use normal text ads, not DKIs.

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Yes, the TM will be inserted. Unless the TM would exceed character limits, just as any other DKI term.

Tom