AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Display URL isn't an URL at all on some listings

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Today, while doing a competitive PPC audit for someone I noticed something I've never seen before, the display URL of two of their possible competitors show up like this: http://screencast.com/t/czwz6BdDVoqy

Why is this happening? Why or how were these ads approved in the first place?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bilc V
April 2016

Re: Display URL isn't an URL at all on some listings

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;
This is a bit complex... Smiley Surprised  In a nutshell, this is a new format (since beginning of 2016) reserved for pharma companies.
The ad format which the pharma industry had used was changed several times, during the last years, due to  (new) FDA regulations. In accordance with the changes in regulation, Google changed the ad format allowed for pharma companies. (In the specific example you provided: In the past a vanity URL was allowed, since the beginning of the year - vanity URL is no longer allowed).
Unfortunately, I haven't found any official documentation.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Display URL isn't an URL at all on some listings

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see. The inconsistencies of the four ads threw me off, but now that you mention that this applies only to pharma companies, the display URL format in the 4 ads above is making sense. Thanks for the clarification!