AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Display/Destination URL: Is this ok?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If I have "lp.SOMEDOMAIN.com" as destination URL.. but have "www.SOMEDOMAIN.com" as display URL... is this acceptable?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Display/Destination URL: Is this ok?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi taewoo,

We require that your Display URL be on the same "site" as your Final URL.  Usually "site" means domain, e.g. SOMEDOMAIN.com, so the prefixes that come before SOMEDOMAIN don't have to match.  There are a few exceptions for sites that host user content; for example myblog.blogspot.com and yourblog.blogspot.com are treated as different sites and would cause a mismatch if one were used as the Display URL and the other as the Final URL.

Note that I said "Final URL" rather than Destination URL.  These aren't necessarily the same, because a Destination URL can redirect the user to another URL.  (Some advertisers use this for click tracking rather than using Analytics.)  What matters is that the site the user ends up on after going to the Destination URL and following all the redirects is the same as the Display URL's site.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Yes, you can use lp.SOMEDOMAIN.com" as destination URL having "www.SOMEDOMAIN.com" as display URL. It is acceptable.

Read more about display url and destination url policy here http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/175906

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi taewoo,

We require that your Display URL be on the same "site" as your Final URL.  Usually "site" means domain, e.g. SOMEDOMAIN.com, so the prefixes that come before SOMEDOMAIN don't have to match.  There are a few exceptions for sites that host user content; for example myblog.blogspot.com and yourblog.blogspot.com are treated as different sites and would cause a mismatch if one were used as the Display URL and the other as the Final URL.

Note that I said "Final URL" rather than Destination URL.  These aren't necessarily the same, because a Destination URL can redirect the user to another URL.  (Some advertisers use this for click tracking rather than using Analytics.)  What matters is that the site the user ends up on after going to the Destination URL and following all the redirects is the same as the Display URL's site.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Laura.. so is the answer yes or no? U just confused me more.