AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Disapproved sites

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It happened to me that I create ad(s) for partners my company is affiliated with while their website(s) are marked as violating one or more advertising policies. While some cases are obvious and therefore most of us never do any business with such, there are companies with programs run through reputable networks like Commission Junction, Linkshare, or Google Affiliate Network. Even there, you can come across a few that had their websites disapproved within AdWords.

The problem is that anyone who builds an ad for such specific company will get violation recorded within the account which counts for a possible future account suspensions and terminations.

I believe that since we have no ways of finding if a website has been black marked in AdWords, that we should not get penalized for submitting such ads.

If the website has already been marked as “a policy violator” the system will not let the ad go through. Knowing that there is no way around except to fix a problem, website owners will not bother about submitting those ads (directly/indirectly) multiple times via different account.

Why not offer a tool about the status of a certain website? Before I build an ad, I can check on a URL so I know where I am at.

As it stands right now, a single website can bring 50, 100, or who knows how many accounts into suspension or termination position. While we’re expected to know the policies and obey them, we’re certainly not able to check on each single website via policy microscope every day. In addition, some websites may be fine today, but not tomorrow. Is it my fault if So and So Company makes a change that is against the ToS?

If we’re all kept in the same pot, why bother about allowing affiliates use AdWords at all unless they own a site? There should be some distinction.

Regards

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Disapproved sites

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi,

My advice is much stronger thn Moshe's on this one:  Do not run AdWords ads that point to a site you do not control.  If you do, you are asking for trouble.  If the site changes in a way that violates Google's policies, the advertisers directing traffic to it are the ones who will be suspended.  That is a huge risk, so don't do it.

Laura

AdWords engineer

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello affiliate,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Interestingly, there is a feedback form available on Adwords, which the advertisers could fill and let Adwords engineers know about what they are presently demanding in terms of interface, new tools, features etc...

I would encourage you to fill this form to raise your point in the eyes of Adwords feedback team.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello affilaite:

Quote:

>>The problem is that anyone who builds an ad for such specific company will get violation recorded within the account which counts for a possible future account suspensions and terminations.

>>I believe that since we have no ways of finding if a website has been black marked in AdWords, that we should not get penalized for submitting such ads.

I completely agree. Google does not disclose this information (I think due to legal reasons ). Moreover, it does not offer a tool to check. The result is that an affiliate program advertiser, needs to search forums on the internet to figure out, if a specific affiliate in "banned" by Google...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi,

My advice is much stronger thn Moshe's on this one:  Do not run AdWords ads that point to a site you do not control.  If you do, you are asking for trouble.  If the site changes in a way that violates Google's policies, the advertisers directing traffic to it are the ones who will be suspended.  That is a huge risk, so don't do it.

Laura

AdWords engineer

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

"My advice is much stronger thn Moshe's on this one:  Do not run AdWords ads that point to a site you do not control.  If you do, you are asking for trouble.  If the site changes in a way that violates Google's policies, the advertisers directing traffic to it are the ones who will be suspended.  That is a huge risk, so don't do it.

Laura

AdWords engineer"

In my opinion this doesent make a lot of sense to me...as in my opinion most of the guys who run adwords campaigns for their clients don't control the site of the client...they just control the adwords campaign...

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

>In my opinion this doesent make a lot of sense to me... as in my opinion most of the guys who run

>adwords campaigns for their clients don't control the site of the client.. they just control the adwords campaign...

As far as I know, most account managers and agencies use a separate account for each client.  Often it's an account created by the client, and the client has granted the manager access to it via our "MCC" interface.  The advice I've seen for AdWords pros is not to run campaigns for clients in your own account, for the very reason you mention.

I know many of the TC's on the forum (including Moshe?) are AdWords professionals who manage campaigns for multiple clients.  Maybe they can chime in on how they structure things.

Laura

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am not native english speaker...but I think the phrase:

"My advice is much stronger thn Moshe's on this one:  Do not run AdWords ads that point to a site you do not control.  If you do, you are asking for trouble"

means:

do not run adwords that send traffic to websites you do not control...

so I think the guys who run the adwords campaigns don't control the websites...they don't have access to the hosting etc...

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Since I do not do the web design myself, the client sings (before linking the account to an MCC) that it is the business (=account's owner) responsibility, to fully comply with AdWords policy (per my instructions), and to guide the web-designer (whether in-house or outsourced) in accordance.

As myname123 suggested, I do not sign clients that are not lawful, or try to "trick" the Policy. (It's easy to recognize these type of clients)

(There has been, lately, a case that was going behind the scene ( Laura might know about ), where there is a clear technical violation of the Policy. Thought it's a big account, I did not continue the negotiation....It's a matter of time until bots/ crawlers find the violation ...)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’