AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Disapproved ad due to Destination mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI,

We have a website that we are currently working with another company to implement Google Adwords.

We have received an error on mostly being Destination mismatch.

Currently the website is set up as follow:

domain.co.za - Country specific domain

domain.com - The rest of the world

The website then determines where you are from when you land on the site (server side, so before you even see content) and redirects you to the correct domain.

Our assumption is that the Google adwords bot that visits the website does not come from the same country as domain.co.za even though all viewers of the adword would only be from this country.

For any international adwords they will all go to domain.com

Our one solution was to stop any country redirection only for the Google adbot user agent string, so that the destination URL is not rewritten.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction as I was unable to find anything in the forum that addresses the problem in a helpful way.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Re: Disapproved ad due to Destination mismatch

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Renier S

Adwords doesn't like user location based redirects. There is too much potential for abuse if it were allowed.  I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, but on a large scale of all Adwords users, the potential for abuse is there.  Your best option is to create a campaign that specifically targets South Africa, and use the .co.za in your final URLs.  Then create another campaign that uses the .com for the rest of the world, or whatever other locations you are targeting that use the .com.

I  strongly recommend that you do not use user agent cloaking.  

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We currently have it setup exactly as you say, one adword for South Africa, one for international, or even one for a specific international country.
The intended adword viewer will always go to the link we place in the ad.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Renier S

I see. So it's only redirecting for Google then.  If that's the case, then I would just disable the redirect function on the website because it is not needed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry David, I might not have explained it correctly.

The redirection is for users - if a user comes from a certain country - it must show that country's content.
Although when it comes to adwords we are linking to a specific URL and showing the ad only in the same geographical location.
Thus for instance a South African user would google the website keywords and subsequently arrive on the South African version of the website.

It is mostly the organic and direct visits that would make use of the redirection.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Renier S

I understand.  It sounds like you are in a "catch-22."  Adwords has a specifc set of rules, and this website has rules about how direct and organic must be handled.  Those two rules conflict with each other.  You're going to have to decide which is more important,  or create a version of your website without the redirect specifically for Adwords traffic.

The only other thing I can think of is to create a way for the redirect to be disabled when the website receives Adwords traffic.  Perhaps some kind of custom variable that the redirect program reads in the url so it knows not to redirect.  I don't know if it's possible with your system, but it's a valid workaround and is not user-agent cloaking.

Disapproved ad due to Destination mismatch

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@David Kyle

My website is suspended because of hosting renewal, but now it's ok, during these suspensions my ads were disapproved, after renewal I make all my new ads but now my 50% ads disapproved again and reason show "Destination URL Problem" whereas there isn't any problem in destination URL. Thanks