AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Disapproved Ads despite no violations

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find a solution to the ongoing issue with Google adwords we are experiencing. I've recently taken on a new role, part of which involves looking after the Adwords campaigns for the company. As a company we spend tens if not hundreds of thousands a year on Adwords, it's an essential part of our business.

We are the largest private provider of STI & STD testing within the UK, each of our many ads are carefully written to explain these services. No part of our website or adverts mention anything to do with Online Pharmacies or anything else that is against Google's policies.

These ads have been approved by Google adwords reps on a number of occasions.

Every so often though Google suddenly decides we are an online pharmacy and begins disapproving ads. This time, on New Years Eve the've gone all out and disapproved all 27k+ thousand of them, despite assurances by Google reps that they are indeed within Google's policies.

Each time this happens it costs the business thousands of pounds in lost revenue and we are about to launch our services in a number of other Countries.

We really need a permanent resolution to this issue, if anyone has any ideas we can avoid this in the future it would be much appreciated!.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Disapproved Ads despite no violations

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Please share your website URL
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV, sure it's http://goo.gl/LImxAb

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Your site violates the healthcare and medicine section of the Policy, and hence cannot be promoted on Google.

"Google AdWords prohibits the promotion of HIV home tests. Please see the "How does this policy differ from country to country?" 

No waiver for this clause in the UK

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But we aren't selling home tests, if you read the page we are selling home sample collection kits that are then sent to Labs for testing. This is essentially the same as going to a clinic for testing. It's very different to Home Tests and we do mention this clearly

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
This point is not clear enough. A user needs to "go" to another page to find that; and in addition the language is quite vague....

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry but how much clearer csn we be " We have a home sample collection service and a UK wide STI testing service in clinics. "

What part of this is not clear? How could it clearer?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Well... I don't see this clear statement on the landing page you linked. I do see that on the "home tab". The "mission statement" should be clear and bold on the landing page!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But why would we need a clear statement about a service we don't offer? I'm not trying to be funny but we don't mention that we don't sell cars or holidays either.

I think it's important to understand that not only are we the largest private STI / STD testing provider in the UK but we've been trading for over 5 years now - most of the time through the use of Google adwords. Our company is founded on the principles of the highest quality care possible, we use the very best clinics, doctors and the leading UK laboratory. We also support charities such as the Terrance Higgins foundation and our aim is always to offer the best quality care we can.

We haven't significantly changed our services or way we advertise in this last five years so why should Google suddenly disapprove our campaigns?

In order to offer the very best service we do offer home sample collection kits which give the customer the privacy of collecting a sample in their own home. These samples are then sent off to the same Laboratory and the results still analysed by Doctors. In no way is this "home testing"

Ironically the Law in the UK has actually been changed to allow the use of "Home self testing" (see the article here: http://www.nat.org.uk/our-thinking/prevention-and-testing/testing.aspx) however we have no plans to offer such products as these do not offer the same quality of care than a test carried out in a laboratory and analysed by Doctors provides.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Well...Yes, but cars or holidays are allowed to be advertised on Google, while HIV home testing (kit) is not allowed. (At least in the UK)

Having the blood sample tested in the lab, is a total different business model than "self  testing at home". I must admit, that though I have spent many years of my career in the Pharma industry, and I am well familiar with Pharma regulation; I did have to "dive deep into the site" to figure that the (blood) sample is mailed to a lab for testing. So; If I had to look "deeper",  certainly,  a "random" user could mistakenly think that "self testing at home" is offered while it isn't. And this is a keystone in Adwords: Direct the user to  a relevant landing page with content which  exactly matches what the user is looking for.

This is my interpretation of the case; Though, re-reading your initial post, it is not clear whether the ads were disapproved OR the account was suspended, - could you clarify this point?