AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Disapproved Ad and Suspensions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had so much luck with getting my last question answered that I thought I would try here again since Google AdWords support has yet to answer any of my emails other than the first asking about getting started with Adwords again.

I just had one of my ads disapproved because of the URL (see screenshots). I am completely stumped because the URL is exactly the same as the approved ad above it and I tested the URL and it went to my page. How am I supposed to fix something that is not broken and is this wrongful disapproval going to go on my "Google record" because, goodness knows, I make enough mistakes on my own and don't need any help in making mistakes that might put my account in s suspension.

gp1.jpg

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meet20
September 2015

Re: Disapproved Ad and Suspensions

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm completely with you Meet20. That's what I thought when it was explained to me. Crazy right? Nonetheless, sometimes it will trigger even with a photo like yours. Now as far as why one photo is flagged and the other isn't, that is one of the great mysteries of google Smiley Happy

However, I will try to give you the "technical" answer. Technically, every image ad is manually reviewed by people after going thru a google bot review. All image ads are "technically" suppose to be approved first before they are eligible to run. So here is the rub with that process...

People.

All people are different. Google gives their reviewers "leeway" to approve or disapprove image ads based upon how the individual reviewer interprets policy. Therefore, there can be a bit of variability between ad approvals based upon who reviewed to ads. For example, one reviewer might approve your ad with the word "Click" in it, even though using the call to action "click" is against policy, while another reviewer may catch it and disapprove the ad. Again, there are individual experience between the two and how they viewed the compliance of your ad.

Also important to note is the fact there is an initial automated review by the system. Who knows how that thing works, but sometimes it will flag parts of an image ad, sometimes it won't.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, please post the disapproval reason.  Also, you have 1 clear violation and 1 potential violation on this image ad:  You say the word "Click" which is not allowed and you are showing a sexy photo of a female and her shoulder skin is showing, which the system may or may not pick up as Non family safe.  At minimum, the system can potential give you an "Approved Limited" status due to certain cultures not wanting females to look or show sexiness, i.e. Muslim cultures can have a block on their computer for all ads that show female's skin or sexy oriented models like in your photo.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I tried to upload a screenshot but the browser crashed. The reason was, "Destination URL not working". It is the same URL for the Approved ad above that looks just like it except in a smaller size. Not only that but I tested the URL by copying and pasting and it went to my website so it isn't like there is a typing error either.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"Sexy" is very subjective. How is a bare shoulder sexy considering she is at the beach with a surfboard. This isn't a photo of a thong or anything even remotely racy. If it were a photo of a man at the beach, would he be expected to have a shirt on? Besides, if the "click here" was the problem then why isn't that listed and why was the smaller ad which looks almost exactly like this ad approved? The ads are virtually the same including links and the "click here" button so why is one approved and the other flagged?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Meet20
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm completely with you Meet20. That's what I thought when it was explained to me. Crazy right? Nonetheless, sometimes it will trigger even with a photo like yours. Now as far as why one photo is flagged and the other isn't, that is one of the great mysteries of google Smiley Happy

However, I will try to give you the "technical" answer. Technically, every image ad is manually reviewed by people after going thru a google bot review. All image ads are "technically" suppose to be approved first before they are eligible to run. So here is the rub with that process...

People.

All people are different. Google gives their reviewers "leeway" to approve or disapprove image ads based upon how the individual reviewer interprets policy. Therefore, there can be a bit of variability between ad approvals based upon who reviewed to ads. For example, one reviewer might approve your ad with the word "Click" in it, even though using the call to action "click" is against policy, while another reviewer may catch it and disapprove the ad. Again, there are individual experience between the two and how they viewed the compliance of your ad.

Also important to note is the fact there is an initial automated review by the system. Who knows how that thing works, but sometimes it will flag parts of an image ad, sometimes it won't.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dathen,

You share some very helpful information. I didn't know the word "click" was frowned upon so thank you for telling me about it and I'll be sure to avoid it in all future ads.

Apparently, the "issue" has nothing to do with the image but the URL which IS working and Is correct. Hearing that reviewers are given leeway to individually approve and disapprove images ads makes me wonder if my violation is in place and my ads are not running because of some pettiness. I think support may be irritated with my lack of Spanish and, maybe, retaliating. But the thing is, I'm NOT selecting Spanish support and have tried many times to reach English support so their malcontent is misdirected.

Thanks again and have a wonderful day!