AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Direct linking to affiliate offers on the Display Network

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm promoting this affiliate offer on the Google Display Network -
blackpeoplemeet.com

The image ad which direct links to this offer has been approved as I expected, since it all seems compliant to me.

But a friend of mine says that Google doesn't allow this & I'm going to get banned...is this true?

If it is true, then can anyone show me a Google Display Network Policy that this campaign is violating?

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Direct linking to affiliate offers on the Display Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Paul,

Are you running ads that lead to blackpeoplemeet dot com or are you directing users somewhere else (your site) in hoping to get them to click through to the final site?

Historically, affiliate marketing through adwords is a loosing initiative...it's similar to running adwords promoting a site in order to gain adsense revenue. It's counter-intuitive...perhaps your numbers show otherwise but given what I know about CPCs and I'm sure a very competitive market for dating sites...I wonder how the math works for something like this. How is it profitable?

If in any way, you're gaming the system, yes there are policies that cover this. Looking for a specific "display only" policy may not help.

So, how are you running your campaigns? If you want to give us a quick rundown, I can potentially show you some policies that you may want to review.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Tommy,

To clarify, I'm running Display Network ads that lead directly to blackpeoplemeet dot com.

Still early days to see whether this campaign can be profitable, at this stage I'm trying to understand whether it is compliant with google's T&C's.

As I say...the Ad was approved, so doesn't this mean that it is compliant? See -

http://screencast.com/t/bE2auUQprL

It's not my intention to game the system, I just want to understand if there are any specific policies that I may be at risk of breaking?

Regards,

Paul

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

My opinion: this site seems to be violating the "information harvesting"  clause. (The primary purpose is collecting personal info. (i.e.  email address.) 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I think the primary purpose of the site is to meet black people for a date?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

the goal from a users perspective is
not necessarily the same as the goal

of the advertiser and business-model.

affiliates by definition relate to a larger entity --
the (email) information and redirection to that entity,
derived from the ad, is typically its primary purpose.

[ of course, google is the final arbiter of their policies. ]

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

To follow with @Celebird; Your landing page has no content.

A user who interested and wants  to find out  what the site is about, and how it works,  has to first  provide an email, and register. This is a violation.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Oh ok, I wasn't aware that was a problem, do you have a link to the policy which forbids this please?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hey Paul,

If you're not doing anything shady with your destination URL/mirror pages/bridge pages etc.. I think you'll be fine. Every dating site is the same in nature (collecting information and registration before use) and they ALL run ads through AdWords.

However, you have to know that for each ad auction, only 1 ad will be shown for each domain. So, if there are 1,000's of affiliates all trying to drive traffic to this same site, you're all competing for 1 spot each time someone searches.

A while back, I was actually good buddies with the guy in this ad. I lost it when I first saw it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVrG8zxHK9Q

I say you're likely okay here.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I disagree (rarely to happen) with Tommy on this;

Content on the landing page, relevant to the user,  prior to sign up - so, the user gets some background as well understands, the service and the costs, before joining the site, is a corner stone in Adwords.

However, we are checking with Google and we'll get to you.