AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Different Phone Numbers for Tracking Purposes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I have a quick question regarding phone numbers showing different in ads, than the landing page.

We are looking to purchase a large number of phone numbers, and use a different number for each campaign.  We are a ticket resell company and we want to accurately track campaign conversions outside of Adwords, with our phone system. 

I spoke to a rep on the phone yesterday (7.7.17) and she stated that as long as the site is verified in search console (which it is), we are allowed to use different phone numbers in our call only ads, even though the number on the landing page will be different.  Looking at the terms of service today, the verbiage used there was a bit confusing, so I want to be sure this is in fact correct, before we have to change all of our ads once they are reviewed. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Verified S,

Many people do use call tracking with their AdWords campaigns. Some use their own number, some use a Google Forwarding number, and some use a third party service. Typically, a large number of different numbers are not used, but I image it's possible (depending on what large refers to). 

The thing to remember is that phone numbers are not part of the ad itself. Phone numbers are added in the mix with either a call only campaign or with a call extension. You can learn more about call extensions here. With either of these options there are limitations and requirements, such as the phone number being verified before it can be used. 

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do these "top contributors" get their status? They should know what they are talking about before answering....

If the site is verified in search console you don't have to have the number on your website. You can have thousands of numbers if you want.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Bob yo,

The information presented does not state the phone number has to be on the website. It states that a phone number must be verified with the actual info on how that is done. 

Thanks, however, for your additional comments. 

Regards,

James