AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Determine if adwords result is a violation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Recently I searched for "Dr Guard Annapolis MD" and the only ad was for a competing dentist office in the same town.

How do you determine what AdWords were used by that ad and if that is a misuse of the key words?

I would think it is not allowed to use another companies information to highlight your company but was curious where Google draws the line.

There was no mention of dentist in my search terms to get something so targeted.

Thoughts? I'm trying to understand how the system works for my own use.
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyle B
September 2015

Re: Determine if adwords result is a violation

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Kyle,

In the US, it is not prohibited to use another company name as keywords. The advertiser could have your name as a keyword. The advertiser could have your name as a keyword, without a DDS or a Dr or even md. That could trigger his ad in this case.

Google is pretty smart. Even though your query did not included "dentist", Google can figure that out. I don't know that they actually do this for AdWords. The "card" shown on the results page is for your, and it says DDS. They could use that as additional info, but I don't think they really do. Some of these things they don't reveal.

To answer your question directly, there is nothing here that indicates the advertiser is misusing key words?

As as response, you could add "Annapolis Green Dental" as a keyword and try to get some of your competitor's traffic, or bid on your own name as a keyword and try to improve your ad rank (higher position on the page).

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyle B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Kyle,

In the US, it is not prohibited to use another company name as keywords. The advertiser could have your name as a keyword. The advertiser could have your name as a keyword, without a DDS or a Dr or even md. That could trigger his ad in this case.

Google is pretty smart. Even though your query did not included "dentist", Google can figure that out. I don't know that they actually do this for AdWords. The "card" shown on the results page is for your, and it says DDS. They could use that as additional info, but I don't think they really do. Some of these things they don't reveal.

To answer your question directly, there is nothing here that indicates the advertiser is misusing key words?

As as response, you could add "Annapolis Green Dental" as a keyword and try to get some of your competitor's traffic, or bid on your own name as a keyword and try to improve your ad rank (higher position on the page).

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords