AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Destination URL Not Working Ad Rejections - when the URL is valid and working....

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Destination URL Not Working Ad Rejections - when the URL is valid and working....

As the title indicates we are getting a slew of these kinds of rejections.

They occurred coincident with, and immediately following from, the site being offline for 90 min overnight.

FROM GOOGLE HELP LINE
"The team that review your ads just got back to me and has stated that there is that issue with the HTTP response code that we are receiving from the website. The team mentioned that the specific error they encountered originated from a 404 error on a desktop crawl. There are dozens of reasons for this response code and we can't state what the exact problem is since we don't have insight into your server/URL configuration.

The best next step is to work with your web developer and maybe your web hosting service to ensure that the website is properly configured and no longer returns the HTTP error codes. We won't be able to approve the ads until then. "

Our developers say they have reviewed the pages and found no issues.  The thing is that while we have a million+ pages on the site, 99% of them are in essence all accruing from the same structured template, in a Magento developed site.

We can't get any additional help from the Help Line.

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@PPCBUILDERS

are you able to share the site in question?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The getting disapproved happens to me quite a bit as we build landing pages for our site, and sometimes we build out the campaign with the URLs of the soon to exist landing page before the campaign begins and the landing page is finished.  Once we fire up our campaign, occasionally the ads get disapproved, and there is virtually nothing you can do to get the URL approved by Google.  Then when you call Google, they will give you some sort of ridiculous nonsense.  Once they told me, to get rid of me, that the problem is that my site does not work in certain countries.  This was a joke.  It works everywhere.  The HTTP error sounds to me like complete nonsense.  Your site was offline and that caused the issue.  

In order to circumvent this, we did the following:  we changed the URL of the landing page, and then the ads.  The ads then changed, so they went back through the approval process.  They got approved.  Then, we would change the URL of the landing pages back to what it was before, and then change the ads back.  Problem solved.

In this case, if I were you, since your site went down for a while, the algorithm read this, and disapproved you.  Change the URLs to either a different site, or different landing pages on your site, from the Adwords editor, upload the changes, and then see if the ads get approved again.  If your ads get approved, then change the URLs a second time back to the proper URLs.

If you haven't tried this, it's a quick fix that might solve your issue.