AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

DHEA/Melatonin - why not allowed in UK?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was wondering what the reasoning was behind not allowing DHEA or Melatonin to be advertised using Google AdWords in the UK? I see it's fine in the US and Canada, but not the UK - why is this?

Kind regards,

Dom

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: DHEA/Melatonin - why not allowed in UK?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Dom,

I believe that you can advertise DHEA and Melatonin in the UK, however you can't use the brand name of the drug. Google allows the advertisement of over-the-counter medicines in both the US and UK, however prescription drug terms can't be used in ads in the UK. If you are advertising for an online pharmacy then you must be certified (complete this link). In the UK you must also be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) and approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). Even if you aren't an online pharmacy I would recommend completing the form at the link.

Also note that if your ad is targeting the UK plus another country where over-the-counter medicine is not allowed then the ad will be disapproved for all locations.

Article: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176031?hl=en

Screenshot of ads for DHEA in the UK:Capture.PNG

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.