AdWords
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Creating ads for another company's brand name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I run the PPC for an air conditioning client and one of their competitors has just gone out of business. They used to be quite popular, so their brand name has a few hundred searches a month. 

I was wondering if I could set up a PPC campaign to target these branded terms. Is this allowed? And if it is, will I have to set up a page on on my website tht is optimised for their brand or would it rank with a destination URL to relevant products? 

Thanks

Kevin

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Creating ads for another company's brand name

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin,

It comes under the Trademark Policy and vary from country to country. I would suggest you to go through this AdWords Trademark Policy before implementing something in your account:

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

I hope that helps!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Kevin,

You can use the brand name and its variations as keywords.

But you can not use these terms in ad text as you are a competitor.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

You cannot also create a landing page for your competitors brand name as it is a violation of the Adwords Trademark policy.

Read under - When such ads cannot show in these regions

'Ads using the term in a competitive way, including ads with a landing page selling or facilitating the sale of goods or services of a competitor of the trademark owner'

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Deepak,

Thanks, that's a big help. I didn't think they would be, but their going out of business, so it's a bit of a grey area.

Thanks

Kevin

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
You are most welcome, Kevin.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
But you can bid for their trademark keywords, Trademark policy is only about using trademark terms in "text ads"