AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Compliant? Here's my Idea for a Landing Page

Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I want to create a landing page that is about news (local news, national headlines, etc). The user will click on an adwords ad and land on my page that has a search bar. Then the user enters a query and hit search. A lightbox popup will emerge showing a promoted software which they can download if they like, and below the download button for the software, there will be the search results of the google custom search with adsense enabled. If they click out of the lightbox, then the user will land on the home page of the site where there's going to be a collage of news stories from various sources.

Is this complaint for adwords and adsense?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Compliant? Here's my Idea for a Landing Page

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Q B

I don't think you've given enough information to assess whether it's compliant or not. It definitely sounds like a poor landing page experience. 
If someone is searching Google for something and then clicks your ad, what makes you think they will want to perform another query? The landing page should be relative

to what they searched for the first time.  The lightbox is considered a popup, so there is an annoyance factor there.  You then say you're going to produce results on your site that come from Google search.  They just came from Google search so that becomes redundant. As for the news collage from other sources, that doesn't sound like original content. You can read here what Google expects from a landing page: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

I

Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok check out this site's landing page: http://www.freenewsheadlines.com/?r=1&kw=Live%20Cnn%20News%20Online

I searched for a news related term and landed here. I type in a query and then it brings me to another page with a pop up. Click away, then I'm on the home page with unrelated stories from my query. How does one improve on this landing page experience? Of course, the goal here for this site in question is trying to get users to download a software.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello @Q B

There are a number of violations here; The major ones are  a lack of added value content on the landing page ("poor content")  AND a landing page which serves as a doorway / a bridge  to another page. - This is a violation of the "abuse of the ad network"   section of the Policy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok great, can you give some content ideas on how this person could fix this landing page? Need specifics.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Q B;

I don't think this business model can profit by using AdWords. What's the business model here? Are you going to charge users for reading news?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No charge for the user, not exactly sure how the pub is monetizing. But you were to improve the page with useful content. What would you do? All I can think of is create a resource list of good news outlets separated by certain categories. For example: US Based: abc, cnn. Independent News Outlets: alternet.org, therealnews.com etc.

What do you think of that idea? What other content can this pub create to increase the user experience?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Q B;

The business model comes prior to designing the page... The main issue is how you monetize from the site. If no coherent business model - no AdWords.  (Not to mention other issues involved, e.g. copyrights of the news  publishers...)

So, overall    I don't think this site can be promoted using AdWords 

Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Q B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Assume the monetization is by some third party paying x dollar per install. The pub is then incentivized to get users to download the 3rd party's software. So now, if you were to improve the page with useful content. What would you do? What kind of value content would you display for users who are searching for news?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
February 2016

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Q B

We are running into a theoretical scenario..., 

You would agree, that it would be unprofessional of me to comment on any design / layout  or content of a website when, IMHO, the business model cannot be promoted.

I don't think I can help further on the case.