AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor using name in Ad Text

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know a competitor can buy ads on our business name, but what are the guidelines for misleading use of our name in their ad text? Unfortunately our name is not trademarked and is somewhat generic, but the business is registered as an LLC in the state and well known in the community by its name. However since our competitor has launched new ad text and changed his website copy, we have received confused phone calls from tourists because they aren't sure if their services are booked with us or him, and think we have two phone numbers.

So as not to raise any allegations if what they're doing is legal, here is a paraphrase:

Our business: SKYDIVE! in South Florida

Our website: www.skydiveinsouthflorida.com

For keywords "skydive in south florida," their ad:

Skydive in South Florida www.skydivesouthflorida.com

The Original Skydive in South Florida Since 1989. Call us today.

This appears directly above our ad with our URL - I know the URL is fair game, but does this text qualify as an infringement? The result has definitely been to confuse customers and searchers.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Competitor using name in Ad Text

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @Larisa B;

Google will take action only if this is a registered trade name  with the exception of the USA (where I understand your business is located)
So, in terms of the policy - Google will not take any action because of the ad-copy.
If the claims on the website were misleading - Google would take action. But, a confusion (by a customer)  is not a misleading claim....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Larisa,

You can include good offers, USPs in your ads to make them more engaging to users.
Don't forget to bid on brand keywords and you can use flexible bid strategy: "Target Outranking Share" to outrank the competitor.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
@MosheTLV,

I'll appreciate your answer.
I see that the case above has generic keywords in URL and I agree with your answer.

But if the domain of Company A is used by the Company B in the text ads and both names are not generic keywords we are in the same situation?

I ask this because under my interpretation of the policy "Making false statements about your identity or qualifications" and "Falsely implying affiliation with, or endorsement by, another individual, organization, product, or service" it can't be done.

Thank you,

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Constantin

I'm not sure I fully understand the scenario. Can you upload a screenshot?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’