AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor using my company name in Google Ad..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So when a search is done for my company name someone else has set up an google ad that makes it look as if its my company. Is this against googles policies for advertising or just a clever competitor that nothing can be done about.

Thank you 

James

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re:Trade name as a Keyword

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Jchopper70 and welcome;

There is no straight answer to that. It varies from country to country, as local legislation is different;

Is your business name a trade-name?

In the USA, your competitor can use your business name to trigger his ad, when a search is done by a user (as happened to you) .

However, If your business name is a trade-name, your competitor cannot use it in his ad text.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Re:Trade name as a Keyword

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Perfect answer by Moshe as he has rightly pointed out it varies from country to country. I think this blog post might be a good starting point for you. Although its an old post and there have been some updates after that. I think this is a good starting point

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Competitor using my company name in Google Ad..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi James,

If you are having trademark registered company and want to compaint about trademark violation so just fill this GOOGLE ADWORDS TRADEMARK COMPLAINT FORM.

Hope this help !!

Regards

-Vicky

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello,

Trademark Violation form differentiates between trademarks and registered trademaks and allows for both. So for both cases you can use the Trademark Complaint form given by Voldemrt.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Re:Trade name as a Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you everyone for responding. After spending hours on Hawaii state government sites, I finally believe I found what I was looking for. My business is a registered trade name, and LLC, which is very similar to a trademark. Also, it isn't automatically owned until the mark needs to be used first.

I think with this information, I can contact Google or the business. Maybe the business first.

(1)  Uses, without the consent of the registrant, any reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation of a mark registered under this part in connection with the sale, distribution, offering for sale, or advertising of any goods or services on or in which such use is likely to cause confusion or mistake, or to deceive, as to the source of origin of such goods or services; or

(2)  Reproduces, counterfeits, copies, or colorably imitates a mark registered under this part and applies such reproduction, counterfeit, copy, or colorable imitation to labels, signs, prints, packages, wrappers, receptacles, or advertisements intended to be used on or in connection with the sale or other distribution in this State of such goods or services;

shall be liable in a civil action by the registrant for any and all of the damages and remedies provided in section 482-33; provided that under paragraph (2) the registrant shall not be entitled to recover profits or damages unless the acts have been committed with the intent to cause confusion, mistake, or to deceive. [L 2001, c 15, pt of §1; am L 2008, c 108, §13]

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol11_Ch0476-0490/HRS0482/HRS_0482-0031.htm

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

Thank you.