AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor using my company name as a keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What is the procedure if my competitor use my company's name as a keyword. It is illegal to use my companies name without my permission. So how do I report them braking our countries laws.

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Competitor using my company name as a keyword

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi JacobB,

Your options will depend on where you are located (country) and how the Company Name was used (in ads or not).  If it is only used as a keyword, chances are there is not much you will be able to do.  Cases like these have been to high courts in the US and the consensus is, it's perfectly okay (in most countries) to bid on competitor names. 

You can read more here:  AdWords policy on trademarks in ads - scope of investigation 

If that does not satisfy your question, you can read about What is Google's AdWords and AdSense trademark policy?

The section about 'AdWords trademark complaints' has a link to a form you can fill out.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tom 

Thanx for the advise. I will check out the link you provided. 

We are in south africa and I am sure competitors are not allowed to use our name in any way whatsoever.

JacobB

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Jacob, did you ever find a solution to this in South Africa. I have a client with a similar issue? Someone using his company name in ad copy. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi choggins and welcome to the forum.  Using trademarked terms in the ad copy is usually much more restrictive than in the keywords and a quick look at the Adwords policy suggests there's no exceptions for SA.  

I'd suggest you follow the contact route for Adwords and follow instructions given there.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Choggins,

Competitive advertising is illegal in South Africa, no matter what type of media you use.

To stop another company or individual to use your registered (legal) name in campaigns, you have to take the legal route via a lawyer. This might not be an affordable option, but that’s the solution. Go and see a layer and place them on terms to stop them doing whatever they do, If not sue them.

Jacob.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

how about clicking on the ad a thousand times.  that should stop them...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
keywords are not considered "trademarks" . They are simply keywords, thus you don't have trademark protection on a keyword. However, if the proper procedures are followed with google to protect your trademark, it will prevent competitors from using your trademark in the Ad

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager

Hi All,

As stated by many above, Google will not investigate or restrict the use of trademark terms in keywords, even if a trademark complaint is received.

This thread will now be closed to further replies. If you need assistance with a related issue, please start a new thread. If this has helped you, show your appreciation by starring the post!

Kathleen