AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor using my client's name as a keyword.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I just discovered that Groupon is using my client's name written in the copy. They are even appearing in position one and my client on position number two. This is possibly affecting us in a big way because they are showing (of course) a discount offer so people will most likely buy from them instead. We are a big nonprofit in NY using an AdWords Grant and they are well, a sales savvy for-profit company.

Has anybody else experienced something similar with discount/promo websites like Groupon? If so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

In your location, the US, this practice is allowed and common.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah, they can use your client brand name in their ad copy in US. It's a common practice.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

You cannot use a brand name in the ad content, unless you are an authorized retailer/distributor of that brand. They can use your brand name as a targeted KW term. If your brand is being used in the ad copy you can file a complaint.

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562124?hl=en

Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Incredible. I think what's best here would be call calling them.

Thanks for letting me know.