AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor using Brand name in ad title?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I wanted to see if I could get a second opinion here.

When I searched for the brand name "Rointe" in google.co.uk, there is an ad that appears with the title

"Electric Heating Experts - Do You Like Rointe Radiators?‎"

it goes to a website called http://www.electricheatingexpert.co.uk/vantage-electric-radiators/?gclid=COLHzrGAx9ECFWYq0wodgM4JuQ

This website does not have any products relating to Rointe, nor information, just competing brands

Surely this is unfair if not illegal?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Adrian D,

This is one of the strategy that can be used to grab the competitors' traffic though if the brand is a registered trademark then Google will take a legal action against the advertiser.

If the brand is not trademark registered than there are other strategies to cope up with this.

These includes modifying your ad copies to show that you own the brand, bidding high on your brand keywords to outrank the advertiser.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
January 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Adrian D,

This is one of the strategy that can be used to grab the competitors' traffic though if the brand is a registered trademark then Google will take a legal action against the advertiser.

If the brand is not trademark registered than there are other strategies to cope up with this.

These includes modifying your ad copies to show that you own the brand, bidding high on your brand keywords to outrank the advertiser.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Competitor using Brand name in ad title?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As well as the trademark issue, Google should act on these types of techniques anyway

It is dishonest and misleading to the users, surely the last thing google wants!

Thanks for your reply