AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor referencing my brand in a Product Listing Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a competitor referencing our brand and a product model # in a PLA. As a result it their ad for a competing product shows up highly in Google Shopping search. I assume this is not kosher but I wanted to check before I reported it. Any feedback?

TIA

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Competitor referencing my brand in a Product Listing Ad

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello afortney,

Welcome to the community and thanks for seeking help here before taking action.

I would primarily suggest that you read this article regarding advertising policies as you will be able to identify what category your competitor falls in. I don't entirely understand your situation but it seems that your competitors are referencing your product and brand despite marketing something completely different?

If this is the case then you will be able to request an investigation. If they are re-selling your product however and / or have a landing page with content relevant to your product then they are following the policies correctly.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello.

I knew it from memory, but wanted to be able to quote it, as well: http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188484#GB

"Your website must provide a way for users to purchase the product online through either a payment service or directly from your website."

If somebody puts up a product listing ad, I have to be able to buy it from that website. 

If one cannot buy that product from the website, they violate that guideline, in my opinion, and you can contact the Google Merchant Center support via a form (http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy) and the folks will get back to you quickly (next business day usually) and they are known to be very supportive (I only had pleasant experiences and I did contact them 4-5 times; I don't know if that's "statistically significant", but it sure worked for me).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello afortney,

Welcome to the community and thanks for seeking help here before taking action.

I would primarily suggest that you read this article regarding advertising policies as you will be able to identify what category your competitor falls in. I don't entirely understand your situation but it seems that your competitors are referencing your product and brand despite marketing something completely different?

If this is the case then you will be able to request an investigation. If they are re-selling your product however and / or have a landing page with content relevant to your product then they are following the policies correctly.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you ScottyD,

If I read the terms right it's a violation. They do not sell our product and the landing page does not facilitate the selling of our product, it just references our product (in more than one ad). When you click on the ad it brings you to a landing page for a competing product by another brand. 

On the landing page they say "compare to brand x, brand y, brand z" which is a gray area in my mind anyway but I think that's a legal question related to trademark, not a google adwords question. I think the violation is that they stuff that content into their Product Listing Ad so they appear in Google Shopping search results for competing products. There are a couple of discount oriented sites in our space that do this. That's the only thing I care to report. Thoughts?

thanks again!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ScottyD (Top Contributor)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello.

I knew it from memory, but wanted to be able to quote it, as well: http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188484#GB

"Your website must provide a way for users to purchase the product online through either a payment service or directly from your website."

If somebody puts up a product listing ad, I have to be able to buy it from that website. 

If one cannot buy that product from the website, they violate that guideline, in my opinion, and you can contact the Google Merchant Center support via a form (http://support.google.com/merchants/bin/request.py?contact_type=contact_policy) and the folks will get back to you quickly (next business day usually) and they are known to be very supportive (I only had pleasant experiences and I did contact them 4-5 times; I don't know if that's "statistically significant", but it sure worked for me).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you Calin. I'll make the inquiry to Google.