AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor getting away with double serving

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Really hope someone can advise me on this!

Here's the situation:

On 19/11/2014 I was looking at my ad preview and noticed that my competitor was running ads for two different websites on multiple keywords and taking up two ad positions at once. Straight away it was clear that they were double serving so I called Google to report it. I was given a typically Google'esq vague and disinterested response which more or less amounted to "We'll get around to it whenever we feel like it and we won't tell you what the outcome is". 

A week later I had a look at the ad preview again and not only had Google not acted, but my competitor was running a THIRD website on the same keywords now as well. To add insult to injury, the daily budget I had previously been running without issue was now displaying a warning that some ads weren't being shown because the campaign was now limited by budget. I called Google again on 24/11/2014 and yet again was given the whole "we don't really give a **bleep**" response. 

I'm now faced with a situation where I'm competing against 3 websites from 1 competitor, my costs are rapidly rising and I have no faith whatsoever in Google to stop it as they just don't seem interested. To clarify for you guys, here is the evidence of double serving:

• The brand name and logo is identical on all 3 sites.
  • The content of all 3 sites clearly states that they offer exactly the same services in exactly the same area.
  • The owner of the business is mentioned by name on all 3 sites and described as the owner too.
  • Although the contact numbers displayed on the actual sites themselves are different, the call extensions on the ads show the same contact number.

For me, this is about as blatantly obvious as you can get. Maybe the adwords accounts are registered to different names with different billing info (thus not alerting the google robots) but based on the above bullet points there's no question that it's one business.I just cannot believe that Google are incapable of making this determination for themselves, therefore, I can only assume that they don't want to penalize this.

Unless someone is stupid enough to double serve from one account or using the same website Google seem to have a very black and white view on double serving. They have set rules which can easily be circumvented without punishment and they seem content with that, perhaps because it's lining their pockets in the process.They just seem to pick and choose which policies they enforce and which ones they don't.

Has anyone ever reported double serving before? Do they actually do anything about it? Based on the description of the violation above does anyone think this is sufficient evidence for Google to take action?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Competitor getting away with double serving

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Double serving could take a while until resolved. You might need to report several times. (I don't know why Google hasn't set a fast track for "double serving " violations)
Anyway, the best way to report is through this link;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Competitor getting away with double serving

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks MosheTLV,

Based on the scenario I described, do you agree that this is actually double serving?

Is this double serving?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Guys,

I've been reporting a case of triple serving for over 2 weeks now to google but nothing has happened. A competitor is running 3 different websites for one business.

Here is the evidence:

• The brand name and logo is identical on all 3 sites.
  • The content of all 3 sites clearly states that they offer exactly the same services in exactly the same area.
  • The owner of the business is mentioned by name on all 3 sites and described as the owner too.
  • Although the contact numbers displayed on the actual sites themselves are different, the call extensions on the ads show the same contact number.

See the below screenshot, it clearly shows this company double serving. They haven't even changed the phone number on the call outs! On some  keywords they have 3 ads running at once.

Does anyone know how they are managing to get away with this?

ds evidence 4.jpg

Re: Is this double serving?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Daniel,

There is a bug in the forum - images cannot be seen.

Upload the image to your server then insert the link in your reply.

Regards,
Razvan M.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Razvan,

Thanks for your reply.

Apologies, but I'm not very good with this stuff! I don't know how to upload it to my server or copy the link.

Could I be a pain and ask for some more detailed instructions?

Sorry!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Daniel,

If you don't know how to use FTP to upload images to your server, you can use this service:

http://postimage.org/

or other similar to that (I just Googled for 'image upload site' and that is the second result - the first result looked too spammy).

Regards,
Razvan M.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Razvan! Really appreciate your help!

Here is the link to the image: http://postimg.org/image/rrbqk37hn/

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

The first URL seems not to exist or down.

PS: Google might have taken action

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

I just checked, and all three sites are still running ads simultaneously so no action taken by google and I reported this well over 3 weeks ago.

The first URL does work, maybe the site was undergoing maintenance at the time you checked it.

Anyway, if anyone could tell me whether or not they agree with my view that this is blatant double serving I'd appreciate it.

Thanks