AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor Double Serving - Need Advice

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need some community advice.  I have reached out to Google regarding a competitor to a client I do a lot of business with.  I work in the sign industry and it is common for sites to feature "design online" functionality.  A particular competitor is abusing their position of owning multiple websites and consistently outbidding the top three search ad spots for our top keywords.  A sample image below shows pretty blatantly what I mean.

http://imgur.com/JU84Vam

Adwords Image

http://imgur.com/kFAFLcj

Addresses

As you can see the last two sites share the same exact mailing address and are pretty clearly reskinned and share functionality.  The 3rd (DIYL.com) has quite a bit different look but upon investigation oddly operates less than a mile away from the other two businesses (coincidence?).  

Upon a live chat with Google I was quite surprised after the rep did a quick investigation and told me over the chat that these companies do not violate the double serving policy.  The owners have cleverly registered each adwords account under unique names and phone numbers to skirt the rules.  They have also similarly created different phone numbers for each site (which is quite cheap and easy to do).  In my opinion all of the sites meet the common product offering requirement along with at least 2 of them offering a similar support experience.  It would be questionable on the similar pricing requirement as everything is calculated, in order to establish this it would take some deeper digging by google.  Some prices are in fact within the 25% threshold.  In the end it appears this company might have possibly taken this niche website spawning strategy simply to dominate the adwords results.  

I'm not sure what else to do here, as I feel 2 of these sites are clearly in violation and probably the 3rd also.  At any rate this is making it difficult to compete effectively since they are projecting 3x the exposure we are.  I feel what they are doing does violate the reasoning behind the double serving policy.  Thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Competitor Double Serving - Need Advice

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
How do you know that the sites are owned by the SAME business entity?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Do you have an account manager at Google?

Have regularly found the people on the other end of live chat to be somewhat clueless when dealing with them, and have had much more success when in conversation with my account manager.

Cheers

JT

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
After digging some more they are all technically separate business entities, although two of them have the same people listed as president and VP. I suppose that does in fact allow them to double serve based on the wording of the policy. It seems what two of the sites are doing at least is to deliberately work around the double serving policy.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Pls report using this link
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’