AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Clarification on whether this situation is allowed?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wonder if the community could provide clarification on this.

I've noticed that a new 1 page website has appeared for the keywords I bid on.

This new website has been created by a high street retailer. I think the reason they have done this is because their brand name is not a keyword, so they have created this new 1 page site so they can put keywords in the domain.

Just as an example, it would be the equivalent of the high street chemist chain Boots creating a standalone 1 page website called

www . pharmacyandhealthproducts . co.uk' instead of 'www .boots. co.uk/landingpage

On this new 1 page site, this retailer have put their main brand name and logo all over it.
Using a whois look up I can see it was created by the digital marketing manager of the high street brand and is registered to their head office address. This new landing page has no links back to their main site but does have links to their social media pages.

What I'm asking is if this is a misrepresentation, deceptive or against the adwords terms & conditions in any way?

I think the crux of it is is that you don't know what company you are dealing with until you have clicked on the ad.

I'm just checking if this is allowed.

I hope that's clear, but I'm happy to try and re-explain the situation if needed. 

Thanks.

EDIT: I had to put spaces in the urls above because I couldn't remove the autolinks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris M,

Chances are, their 1 page website bumps into Policy due to a bridge page with insufficient original content. Please kindly do see the below policy page:

* Destination requirements / Insufficient original content *

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6368661

I would report on them by using this feedback form:

* Feedback on AdWords ads *

https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507#ts=6006595

You are advised to log in to Google, select the Other Ad Issue radio and provide the URL of their webpage. Finally refer to the policy mentioned above.

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

>>"Just as an example, it would be the equivalent of the high street chemist chain Boots creating a standalone 1 page website called

www . pharmacyandhealthproducts . co.uk' instead of 'www .boots. co.uk/landingpage

As long as this practice is conducted with ONE account - this is legit. Many retailers (due to various reasons) set a separate landing page in addition to their website. The URL of the landing page  (again, due various marketing reasons)  can be different than the brand's domain. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Great teaching, @MosheTLV.