AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Clarification on Double Serving Ad Policy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a scenario which I believe is pretty common across industries:

There is a product that is being sold online via various ecommerce platforms like Amazon, Ebay, Flipkart, Snapdeal, Shopclues & advertisers own website as well.

Whenever search the product name we see 4 ads from all these advertisers Amazon, Ebay, Snapdeal & advertisers own website. Plus you also see PLA ads from Healthkart & other websites.

The product logo, design & price is just the same throughout all website & is being sold through a single company itself. But just due to the ambiguity of rules from Google they are taking advantage of almost 7 spots in search results through various big ecommerce platforms.

I would need views of the experts here to understand if this stands as a violation of double serving policy? and if I make a complaint on Google will they be able to pull down ads from advertisers like Amazon and Flipkart?

Thanks,

Rajat

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Clarification on Double Serving Ad Policy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rajat,

I think you are talking about the abuse of the network policy here (https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en). It happens when the advertisers tend to promote the same business using multiple AdWords accounts with multiple websites.

But the scenario you are telling looks different. Advertiser might have purchased the marketplace across the big names that you are referring to i.e. their own advertising platforms. So can't comment on that.

But if you still feel some violation happening, you could directly report and provide feedback to AdWords here:- https://support.google.com/adwords/troubleshooter/4578507?rd=1

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Pankaj,

Yes...the policy name has changed to Abuse of The Network. It clearly states that "Using the Google Network to gain an unfair traffic advantage over other participants in the auction". Which in this case holds true.

I can report the issue via feedback form for one of the ads, but not all the 7 ad spots at once. Also I don't believe Google will be able to take down ads from Amazon & Healthkart just on the basis of a feedback form!

We should ourselves be first sure if this is considered as an abuse of the network!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Dusons

Promoting the same product to the same targeted audience, by the same business entity,  using   different accounts is indeed a violation of the "gain unfair advantage" clause of the Policy.

However, re-reading your question it looks that this is the same product sold / distributed by different sellers, each has a store on either ebay, amazon, or a website. If this were the case, those would be different business entities, hence - no violation.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Moshe,

You have definitely put forward an argument that the advertiser would put forward in case of a violation.

but firstly Google will never know if this is the same seller across each marketplace because no big ecomerce house would share (or even care) merchant's details with Google. Even if they do it would be very easy for a big advertiser to have all his distributors to open up accounts at adwords and promote the same product everywhere.

It would be like if anyone searches for "chocolates syrup" and see "hersheys syrup's" ads all over because they have authorised 10's of their distributors to advertise on their target keyword. So even though its not a single advertiser they are advertising a same product, with same logo, price everywhere.

Thanks,
Rajat

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Dusons

Quote:

>>"But firstly, Google will never know if this is the same seller across each marketplace because no big ecomerce house would share (or even care) merchant's details with Google"

Google doesn't have to get the information from other platforms. It has its ways to investigate, get  the details about the advertisers, and conclude if 2 or more advertisers are actually linked, and could be considered "one business entity", OR they are independent businesses, not tied to each other.

Once you file a complaint Google can investigate that.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Well I hope so that comes true and workable. Let me get in touch with one of the Google's representatives to file a complaint and I will share the results with you all!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have a different situation. I am looking at ads of one of my competitors that dominate Google Shopping pages because they create multiple listings of the SAME item in the merchant marketplace that supplies the data to Google, in this case, by Etsy. The photograph is the same but the title of the item and the description is worded slightly different as to capture as many keywords as possible. I find this practice deceptive. It may be allowed on Etsy (as they do capture fees for each listing) but it seems like it violates Google policy? Would love a confirmation one way or the other.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Do they have different prices as well? In case they are advertising
different packages (multiple quantities) of the same product with different
price points then it might be allowed. But if they simply change the title
& description, use the same image, price & landing page then it is eligible
to be reported to Google.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10