AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

City name as a trademark problem

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Some of ads we created contains name of the city. Example: we're promoting auto repair shop in Frederick, MD  and ad description says "Frederick's Automotive Experts".

Ad got disapproved because AdWords consider "Frederick" as a trademark. 

Can you suggest a solution considering the fact that we'll have more of cities covered in the future, so some cities such as Lincoln, NE may also become a problem.

Thank you!

D

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: City name as a trademark problem

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello;
What about targeting Frederick by zip code?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Not sure I understood.
Text of the ad is my problem, not targeting. Or you're saying AdWords are smart enough to see the correlation between the zipcode and the potential name of the city in ad desc?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Ohhh... I see your point.
I would change the ad-copy to reflect that this is a town name (e.g. Auto repair in ...) and contact Adwords asking for a human review,
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dmitry P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Moshe is right - the bots just don't understand these things - however asking your rep to manually review can usually get things approved.