AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Changing site domain in a long standing Adwords Account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are changing our site domain due to a rebrand. The old domain and the existing Adwords accounts perform very well indeed. We can handle the change of domain with regard SEO but for Adwords is there a best practice method? The new site is identical to the old site and the 301 redirects will remain permanently once the change is made.

1. If I amend the existing ads with a new URL, will I loose a lot of account / adgroup quality score due to the new URL landing page?

2. Would I be best to leave adwords as it is for the moment and let the 301's redirect, and then maybe in 2-3 months change adwords once the new domain has settled down?

3. If so then can you simply change the display URL or will that incur penalties due to a different display and final landing URL?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Changing site domain in a long standing Adwords Account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

One of our colleagues @petebardo has a methodology for that.

Let me ping him.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Tim,

Please make sure that the display url of the ads must have the same domain as of final url, otherwise the ads will get disapproved or account may get suspended.

I would recommend to copy all the ads and update the new display & final url and pause the ads with old url.

This way the ads history will be retained.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Tim,

Let me see if I can answer these questions.

1. If I amend the existing ads with a new URL, will I loose a lot of account / adgroup quality score due to the new URL landing page?

You could drop in QS due to the new domain. I would expect any drop to be minimal.

2. Would I be best to leave adwords as it is for the moment and let the 301's redirect, and then maybe in 2-3 months change adwords once the new domain has settled down?

I would leave it as is with 301 redirects until all organic searches for your keywords return results from the new domain. Just update the display URLs. This will help transfer any "juice" your ads currently have to the new domain and should have minimal effect on QS in the meantime.

3. If so then can you simply change the display URL or will that incur penalties due to a different display and final landing URL?

You will need to change the display URL. Archit has suggested creating new campaigns to retain history. This isn't really necessary. No history is ever lost, you may need to look in a different place for the results of ended campaigns. In this case you will need to look at a different date range to find the history of this campaign before the change. If you create a new campaign pause or end the current campaign, you will need to change the date range and possible change your campaign view from "All enabled campaigns" to "All" or "All but removed".

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords